question

captainsteve avatar image
captainsteve asked

Replacing Bmv 700 with a Bmv 712

I have an installed Bmv 700 on my boat and would like to upgrade to a Bmv 712. Do I need to replace the old shunt, data cable or power cable? I would like to just remove the old display and install the new with the existing wiring, and shunt.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

The only thing other than the display that you need to replace is the shunt PCB - not the entire shunt assembly if you don't want to, just the PCB attached to it. The 712 PCB has two little power ports where your 700 PCB has one; you'll plug in your existing power cable to the port closest the serial port, plug your existing data cable into the new PCB serial port, switch out the display on the other side and you're done!

It probably goes without saying, but in case not: the power cable at the shunt PCB is live, so either kill that circuit before swapping out PCBs or just be careful to tie it well back when you unplug it so that you don't accidentally touch the shunt with it and end up popping that PITA little 100mA inline fuse. Otherwise, this is a super simple upgrade.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

captainsteve avatar image captainsteve commented ·

Thanks! Very helpful.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ captainsteve commented ·

Not for sure but if you don't want to messure a 2nd battery(voltage only) you maybe don't have to replace the PCB.

0 Likes 0 ·