question

faza avatar image
faza asked

Remote Mppt and battery protect with programmable relay K1 / K2 of quattro

hi,

I 'm installed a set with BMS (Not victron, it is 123smart) for my lithium batteries and i connect it in quattro in the Lithium specific mode which use AUX1 to allow charge and TEMP1 to allow cischarge.

My problem even if i bought a lot of equipment (Venux, BMV712...) to command my Mppt solar (Victron 150/100) and the battery protect (BP65 used connect the 12V load) with the respectively ON/OFF remote of each equipments, i haven't found how connect the remote control of these equipements.

I found different possibilities but i'm not sure :

- Program K1 relay of quattro to close it 10s after the activate of AUX1 of quattro (Aux1 input is activate by BMS to allow the charge) and connect this K1 relay on ON/OFF remote of MPPT. it enable the charge of mppt.

- Program K2 relay of quattro to close it 10s after the activate of TEMP1 of quattro (Temp1 is activate by BMS to allow the load - inverter of quattro) and connect this K2 relay on ON/OFF remote of battery protect. it enable the load (12V) through battery protect.

OR

Set, for MPPT and Battery Protect, the specific voltage of used.

What do you think about these solution and maybe have you another solution?

MPPT ControllersBMSchargersystem design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

What I do and we use a lot of the 123smart units

I install a VE-BMS unit, (the loop wire needed is a separate purchase) I then cut the small loop wire and it has 3 wires black blue and brown Keep the black looped. when the blue loop is open then the charge turns off when the brown loop is open the load turns off. ( these two maybe the wrong way around as cant remember the colours for sure), I then install the BMS assistant in the quattro

so you conect the two blue ends and two brown ends across the 123smart cutoff relays Load and charge, use the N/C contacts.

Or you can use the AUX1 and Temp on the quattro and then the 2 wire BMS assistant in the quattro (this would be preferred by Victron by the way)

hope this helps

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

faza avatar image faza commented ·

Hi paul B, i haven't VE BMS unit and i already use the 2wire BMS assistant in the quattro. My problem is to sent the information received to the quattro from BMS to the other equipment like mppt and BP.

0 Likes 0 ·

Please could you confirm that : you bought ve bms unit in addition to 123smart?

0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

You've got a great BMS to use for this application. Since the smartBMS has Normally Open AND Normally closed relays, I would suggest checking with a voltmeter which pins are no and which are nc. But since the quattro has the ability to disable charge when the aux1 is open or closed, I would suggest you do closed, then you can wire the other side to (normally closed) to the BP and MPPT on off as they require a high signal in order to charge allow current flow for the BP. Just make sure you have the correct pin on the BP and your are in Lithium Mode.

Check out the manual for the smart BMS on page 19. https://123electric.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/123SmartBMS_manual_1v3.pdf

6 comments
2 |3000

thanks nebulight for your reponse and sorry for the time to comment it. Below a schematic of the system beacuse i don't understand how use the bms with the other side of relay (pin 2 and 3 of each relay when is normally closed aren't able to activate the mppt and bp)

0 Likes 0 ·
1566569041587.png (142.3 KiB)
nebulight avatar image nebulight faza commented ·

Is there any voltage on the relay output pins?

0 Likes 0 ·
faza avatar image faza nebulight commented ·

no this is only contact NC/com when relay is off and NO/Com when on.

0 Likes 0 ·

that 's why i would like use K1 and K2 relay. K1 is close (NO/COM) when Aux1 allows to charge. And K2 is close when Temp allows to load the consummer

0 Likes 0 ·
1566592287953.png (67.6 KiB)
nebulight avatar image nebulight faza commented ·

since you are relying on the multi for the DC loads and other chargers, I would assume the Multiplus would need to be on for that to work.

Since the BMS is just a loop on the relay, you could use the BP in normal mode, but there would be a 30 second delay when disconnecting. And that won't work for your charger if you are using the inverting on/off cable.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi nebulight, yes the quattro will always be ON. if the quattro switch off or the bms, normally the mppt and BP will be disconnect because the relay k1 k1 of quattro will became in the NC/Com mode and the rremote of mppt and bp will be floatting.

I looked to use the on/ off cable of victron but apparently it works only with "ve bus bms" of victron. I also try to transfert the information from bms to the other equipement by setting the venus gx but I don t suceed to activateur bms mode on mppt with the Vénus gx even if the quattro is defined as work by bms on the paramètre of venus gx. I didn t see another solution to control all my equipement.

0 Likes 0 ·