question

cattmint avatar image
cattmint asked

BMV-712 download battery logs/data?

I have a BMV-712 battery monitor monitoring a lithium battery. Historical data is available on the unit but I would like to download data on current, voltage, power & consumption over a period of time (like I do for my MPPT 100/15) in order to track usage and input.

I can't do it using the android app like I can for our MPPT controller (export a .csv file) but can I access this data using the V.E.Direct USB cable and the BMV Reader software on my laptop?

Is there any future development on the android app that would enable this functionality?

Other than investing more money in a color monitor and VRM portal which I just don't have, is there any way to download or export data from the BMV-712 on the battery usage and input over time so that I can track usage and compare to previous periods?

TIA

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered ·

Yes, you can connect a VE.Direct to USB cable to the BMV and use VictronConnect app to get the data IF memory serves.

You can also see on Github for free software to read the BMV's data from you, using the cable.

Someone should pass here soon and give more advice's.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tim Rohrer avatar image Tim Rohrer commented ·

Do you know which repo can be used to download battery monitoring data?

0 Likes 0 ·
spirou avatar image
spirou answered ·

The easiest/cheapest way is using a raspberry pi running venus OS to log and transmit the data to VRM. This will set you back ~30€ or less if you buy a used one. But, the dealbreaker for me is the constant low drain on the battery. Not much of a problem in summer, but it adds up over long winter nights when the solar panels on the van are producing next to nothing. On a residential installation it's a different story though.

1 comment
2 |3000

Tim Rohrer avatar image Tim Rohrer commented ·

Interesting. I frankly am surprised Victron doesn't make that an option of the BMV.

I suppose monitoring trends with batteries isn't as important when dealing with Lithium vs flooded, but it still seems like easy-to-provide data.

0 Likes 0 ·