question

tarik avatar image
tarik asked

Can the MPPT 75/15 solar charge controller increase low solar voltage to charge a higher voltage battery?

Hı ,

I have a question about MPPT 75/15 charge regulator that I couldnt get enough information about,

My question is,

I know the product can reduce the voltage while raising the current for example, when the input power is 30 volt 2,00 amper , output may be 24 volt 2,2 amper(nearly).

BUT I WONDER, Can the product do the opposite of this?(Can the product raise the voltage while reducing the current?)For example, Can the product supply 24 volt 0,75 amper(nearly) output power when the input power is 18 volt 1,00 amper?

Summary; Can we charge the 24 volt battery if we give the input voltage around 17-18 volt?

Thanks, sincerely…

MPPT Controllers
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tmalone avatar image tmalone commented ·

I love Victron, but I haven't seen any of their MPPT charge controllers that will "boost" solar panel voltage up to a higher battery voltage. But other companies do make such a product, such as the Genasun GVB-8-WP (Boost). It will even charge a 48V battery from a 12V panel.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

No. It's strictly a buck converter. Series-up panels as required to meet your needs.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tarik avatar image tarik commented ·

I know if I fasten the panels serie, I can do it but I dont have enough area for two panel, have you any alternative solving about this? It is a project for charging e bike with solar energy.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ tarik commented ·

Yeh, only really another panel. Like a '24V' one with a typical Voc of 32V+.

Or, adding complexity, a separate 12V battery with a 12/24 converter like an Orion.

0 Likes 0 ·
tarik avatar image tarik JohnC ♦ commented ·

Thanks dear , I wonder about, is there any 20 watt panel that can supply above 24 volt? If there is a panel as I want , it is enough to solve the problem.

Do you know?

0 Likes 0 ·
tmalone avatar image tmalone tarik commented ·

See my answer discussing the Genasun GVB-8-WP (Boost) charge controller.

0 Likes 0 ·
christyler avatar image
christyler answered ·

you can't do that with a mppt, but you can do it with a Victron buck boost. 12v in and 24v out no problem.

1 comment
2 |3000

tarik avatar image tarik commented ·

Thanks dear , I wonder about, is there any 20 watt panel that can supply above 24 volt?

Do you know?

0 Likes 0 ·
tmalone avatar image
tmalone answered ·

I love Victron, but I haven't seen any of their MPPT charge controllers that will "boost" solar panel voltage up to a higher battery voltage. But other companies do make such a product, such as the Genasun GVB-8-WP (Boost). It will even charge a 48V battery from a 12V panel.

2 |3000