question

jhass1 avatar image
jhass1 asked

Victron Multiplus 5000 24v 120A and Pylontech UP2500 24V Batteries

I have the above inverter with Rolls 5000 6CS25P batteries (supported with PV panels) which are 14 years old and have done great job. I am thinking of replacing them with Pylontech UP2500 24v batteries but cannot find any confirmation that they are OK with Multiplus as above. All advertising notes them as suitable for backup or UPS but not for daily cycle solar power. My alternative is to get a new 48v Multiplus, which would be a shame as this one is only 3 years old, with the Pylontech US2000B or US3000B batteries. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Lithium BatteryPylontech
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @jhass1

You write that they're not suitable for daily cycling...

alternatives: other lithium batteries, (like the Victron 24V batteries.)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

davb275 avatar image
davb275 answered ·

Hi @jhass1 Did you ever resolve this, as I am in exactly the same position, with a setup that matches yours. Do the Pylontech UP2500s work for you?

3 comments
2 |3000

jhass1 avatar image jhass1 commented ·
Hi @davb275. Yes, I went ahead with the UP2500. I got 4 and the VENUS GX and the SmartSolar MPPT charger. The only issue I had was that the batteries don’t seem to relay SOC status to the VENUS GX via the supplied cable although that may be a firmware issue. However I do get SOC info into my Victron app on my smartphone and can configure automatic genstart parameters. Once I had upgraded my Multiplus Invrter firmware everything clicked and has been working perfectly for almost 2 years. I would just add that I chosethe UP2500s because of the 24v system that I currently have. If I was starting from scratch I would def go for 48v only because of the greater variet of lithium batteries. Let me know if I can help further.
0 Likes 0 ·
davb275 avatar image davb275 jhass1 commented ·
Great. Thank you very much. Just wanted some re-assurance that it does work with the UP2500. Like you, I would have gone 48V if starting again, but all of our kit (wind turbine etc.) is currently 24V. Can I ask, whereabouts did you source the batteries? They seem impossible to find here in the UK, but I have seen some abroad.
0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ davb275 commented ·
For several months I looked for UP2500 batteries in the UK, but I gave up in the end and shifted over to 48V. For me it was just the MultPlus which needed to be replaced.

The cost of importing 10KWh of UP2500 was more than 10KWh of US3000C and new MultiPlus! Then there is the added risk of not knowing the suppliers abroad, the US3000C was already on our shores.
There are no US3000C either now and we have to sit on a waiting list, but there are US2000 knocking about here and there, but watch the prices.

You have a bit more 24V equipment to consider than I did, but it may be worth thinking about.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

UP2500 2019.pdf

With the data sheet quoting 6000 cycles, these batteries look good for solar use - daily cycling and are being sold as such by a South African distributor.

My only issue would be the limited discharge rate of 0.5C - so make sure you install enough to cover the maximum expected discharge rate.

up2500-2019.pdf (207.5 KiB)
2 |3000