question

tillmauritius avatar image
tillmauritius asked

Firmware Update SmartSolar without Internet connection?

I installed a new SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 with solar panel on a boat. App Victron Connect on my smartphone is v5.8. VictronConnect connects with the device, but now wants to update the firmware (from 2.14 to 2,19 I think) and says it is essential for further use of the App. The problem: my boat is at a place off grid, not net connection for my mobile. When I go home and have internet connection, VictronConnect logically does not find the MPPT and does not ask for updating firmware. Can I save the firmware to my smartphone and then upload the firmware to the MPTT without internet connection?

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @TillMauritius

Firmware files are included with app itself. There is no internet connection required to do firmware updates once the VictronConnect app is up to date.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tillmauritius answered ·

Hi @GuyStewart
Thanks for quick answering. But..."VictronConnect connects with the device, but now wants to update the firmware (from 2.14 to 2,19 I think)" and after a while it says something like "no answer and therefore update interrupted" another answer was that I should erase the MPTT device from the list of bluetooth devices on my smart phone, but I don't find a possibillity to do so in my exotic Android "Cubot" (but this is another story...)
I will make screenshots the other day...

2 |3000

tillmauritius answered ·

Finally I managed the connection to update the firmware. It was a bluetooth pairing problem. After VictronConnect connects with the device without problem, for the firmware update is a pairing necessary, but no pairing window popped on, then I should erase the blutooth history or list of bluetooth devices, but there is no explicit menu on my CUBOT May Smartphone (Android 6.0 Mashmallow) After some Try&Error adventures I found out, that you can wipe out the cache of the app for that or/and wipe out the cache of the smartphone. After that it worked...deep sigh

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic