question

moodlyd avatar image
moodlyd asked

PYLONTECH battery Low Voltage shut down - Multiplus

Good Day

I have a PYLONTECH 8kw 48V battery setup with a Victron Multiplus on ESS, connected to Solar.

One issue I have is that when the mains supply fails and am running on batteries at night, I cannot limit the level of discharge (batteries discharge below 80%).

I tried adjusting the dc input low shutdown on the Multiplus but did not work.

Please advise. I would to limit the battery to lowest 85% discharge level.

ESSPylontechdischarge level
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Just to be clear, you would prefer to have a blackout while there is still capacity remaining in the battery?

In a correctly configured system, the Pylontech sends a signal to the Multi when it is empty and then the system shuts down safely.

Why would you want to lose power while there is available energy to use in your battery?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mose avatar image mose commented ·

Maybe to just not discharge them as low to conserve battery life?

0 Likes 0 ·
moodlyd avatar image moodlyd commented ·

Yes want to extend the battery life. I have 2 systems, this is setup to save energy and not necessary when we have a prolonged blackout. During the day, solar will kick in and support the load. After we reach 80% of capacity left over at night, when there is no mains, don't need the system to run. Have a different system operating as a UPS

0 Likes 0 ·
mose avatar image
mose answered ·

Afaik not possible in a CAN BMS setup with DVCC.

I suppose you want to maintain your batteries dir max cycles? If so you could change your parameters of the Pylontechs. You can do so using the console port.

1 comment
2 |3000

moodlyd avatar image moodlyd commented ·

HI , Yes want to extend the battery life. I have 2 systems, this is setup to save energy and not necessary when we have a prolonged blackout. During the day, solar will kick in and support the load. After we reach 80% of capacity left over at night, when there is no mains, don't need the system to run. Have a different system operating as a UPS

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I am guessing now.

The first way would be to modify the ESS 'Dynamic cut-off voltages'. These are a stage of the ESS assistant, and override the DC input low shutdown parameter.

You can modify them in the assistant to higher shutdown voltage thresholds.

Another way could be to add another 'programmable relay assistant' and the 'general flag' to set up a rule where at a certain state of charge the AC input relay is opened.

There are some examples in the following manuals:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:start

https://docs.victronenergy.com/veconfigure.html

Please read those first.

There are so many variables at this point with how your system is configured, wired, and your desired outcomes, that it really is outside the scope my ability to give any more precise advice.

I suggest talking to your Victron dealer/installer, in order to proceed.

2 |3000