question

abrahamsolar avatar image
abrahamsolar asked

Canvu GX IO Extender: Can I DC-DC convert down from 48v battery?

Hello from the USA.

I see the Canvu Extender needs 8-32vDC to function so if the battery is 48vDC nominal, can I use the Orion ORI482428110 isolated DC-DC converter to whack the DC voltage in half? OR: will the Canvu think we're running a 48v Quattro from a 24v battery & throw an error?

Assuming that the input voltage does not inform any Canvu measurements but only powers up the Venus device...could I also use an AC to DC converter to get a steady 24vDC for that purpose?

Thanks in advance, community folks~

CCGX Color ControlVenus GX - VGXOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Yes you can use any DC to DC converter to get to the desired voltage to suit the Canvu device.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

abrahamsolar avatar image
abrahamsolar answered ·

Thanks @Rob Duthie. @Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff), can you correct this page:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:canvu-gx

which states in bold "not for 48V systems! " as if the Canvu product is only for 12v & 24v systems. The page for the CCGX explains this power supply thing better.

I do get the point that the Canvu circuit would zorch if subjected to 48v battery voltage but maybe there's a better way to state that.

Thanks & Jolliness.

2 comments
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

They need to supply a DC to DC converter for 48v systems. Any off the shelf device will work OK at long it is rated for Canvu current draw.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks @abrahamsolar,

I have made your suggestion :)

Regards,

Guy

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page