question

philby avatar image
philby asked

Multi 3000 generator charging

My multi 3000 has stopped charging from the generator. Could it be that the battery levels have dropped too low (as mentioned in this forum) or could it be that the transfer switch is faulty. I’m getting a reading of 240v going into the multi from the generator but it’s not activating the transfer switch

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
philby avatar image
philby answered ·

I bypassed the ac in cable from the generator and ran a separate cable from the gen to the Inverter and that fixed the problem. The old cable must be faulty

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Yeh, good work finding that early. Probably the last place I'd look. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Philby. Look first for rejection of the generator ac by the Multi. It's by design, but it is very particular about what it will accept. There are no warnings when it happens (maybe led's, I've never looked), but if you're standing nearby you'll likely hear the relays 'attempt', then reject, possibly several times spaced out a little. I suffer this, so do many others, but it's tweakable:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

Expensive gennys aren't immune either, tis the luck of the draw. Inverter genny output is usually ok, but may baulk within themselves at load spikes when switched in, then recover. You could keep an eye on this by having say a light on a second ac output. The Multi seems to only try x? times, then gives up. Fair enough, to save relay wear.

Don't despair, you're not alone. The likelihood of this being your issue is far greater than a Multi fault. Not to be totally discounted of course, but go through that linked procedure first. Good luck.

2 |3000

philby avatar image
philby answered ·

Yes I have experienced 240v from the genie to the Inverter but now no 240v detected. How to rectify? Thanks

5 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

This suggests a genny protesting at the load (or a spike). Typical of inverter gennys, and not to be confused with your Multi inverter. Maybe overload.

It's possible to limit your Multi's ac acceptance level if you have the kit on hand to do that. And that may be necessary, depending on your genny. What is it anyway?

0 Likes 0 ·
philby avatar image philby JohnC ♦ commented ·

I have a mk3 dongle for that purpose but need to update the USB driver. Can’t seem to upload it into the ve config program.

The Inverter gen is a Japanese design Chinese assembled and is rated at 6kva

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ philby commented ·

The usb drivers are for the usb host, like a laptop or suchlike.

The gen should be capable enough, only cos it's not a toy one. The Multi could indeed overload it though, and when you get in there. maybe set it's limit to 10A or below (there is a min, but it's a bit lower than that, it should tell you if you try too low). Those are ac A.

I do note the Multi 3000 has a couple of models with different transfer switch ratings too, and perhaps that's a factor. But 10A easily covers both.

Hard to diagnose from here, but if you need more links to info please yell.

Perhaps also advise what load/charge needs you're aiming at too.

0 Likes 0 ·
philby avatar image philby JohnC ♦ commented ·

Yes the USB drivers have been downloaded onto the laptop but I need to upload the drivers into the ve config program.

0 Likes 0 ·
philby avatar image philby philby commented ·

Also I haven’t been able to find whether the multi 3 can operate in the 12v mode

0 Likes 0 ·
philby avatar image
philby answered ·

Alls well now...system back to normal.

2 |3000