question

thepiper avatar image
thepiper asked

IP22 in a camper van

Hi,

I have a campervan with two 110Ah batteries in parallel. I want to add a IP22 charger so that I can charge my batteries when at a campsite. I have two questions:

1) From the IP22, do I connect the negative to the negative of my battery or to the chassis of the van where my battery is earthed to?

2) Will I be able to still use the battery to power my interior lights and other small items, whilst the IP22 charges the batteries at the same time?

Thanks

installation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
esteban avatar image
esteban answered ·

Connecting via a wire would mean directly to the battery and this is most correct. Connecting charger to the chassis ground and then using the chassis to get current to the battery may work fine or may not.

Yes- you can run house system while charging. It's a zero sum deal. 15 amp charger - 3 amp load = 12 amps charging battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thepiper avatar image thepiper commented ·

You're a star! Thanks Esteban! Much appreciated!

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi P.

1) Either way. But if you use the chassis return, do it carefully. My personal preference is via wire, just me..

2) Yes, fine.

Happy camping.

2 |3000

thepiper avatar image
thepiper answered ·

Great, thank you!

2 |3000

thepiper avatar image
thepiper answered ·

Hi John,

Sorry to bother you again, but when you say your preference is just via wire, can you clarify? Wire to the battery negative, or battery to the chassis earth point? Thanks.

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Yeh, Esteban has answered admirably. I tend not to trust chassis earth returns much. Can work fine, but sometimes clumsy installation, mixed metals and a little moisture can cause corrosion and dubious contacts may result. I also fool with boats a lot, and galvanic hull/fitting corrosion is a dreaded fear. You could even have a fully-floating dc system, with no chassis earth at all.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic