question

angus-s avatar image
angus-s asked

BMV700 logging serial output

I can log the BMV700 output via the serial to USB converter on my laptop and that works very well. I wonder can I do this direct to a USB memory stick without the laptop?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Hi Angus.
Sorry, that is not possible. A USB stick on its own (presuming you found some way of connecting it directly to the BMV) would not know what to do with the data coming from the BMV.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ray-mont avatar image
ray-mont answered ·

Hi @angus_s

You can make us of the data logging from victron and much more

Build your on GX Use a raspberry pi 3 or3+ and your ve-direct usb cable

And send the data thru the internet to the VRM portal

The data is stored for max 6 months more then enough time to download it

If you lost internet connection the data is stored locally until running out of “disk space”

And you can check your system even remoteLy , even I managed to get it. working

5 comments
2 |3000

jimzi avatar image jimzi commented ·

@Ray_mont I see you mentioned sending data to VRM portal from raspberry PI which is what Im trying to achieve at the moment. Do you have any resources with more info on this? When I inspected the form post data the Venux GX was sending to VRM portal, it appeared to be encrypted?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ jimzi commented ·

Might this be just HTTPS, which I think is enabled by default?. Can be changed.

0 Likes 0 ·
jimzi avatar image jimzi JohnC ♦ commented ·

I had changed the Venus GX to report to HTTP rather than HTTPS so I was able to see the form post, but it still looked like the payload was encrypted - however, I believe this was purely because its gzipped :)

0 Likes 0 ·
ray-mont avatar image ray-mont jimzi commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
jimzi avatar image jimzi ray-mont commented ·

Will have a browse, thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·