question

xprider avatar image
xprider asked

Victron Connect not connecting

MPPT 75/15 worked as expected for several months. Last week or so it will not connect with the Victron Connect app on my phone. As the app suggested, "forgot " the controller on my phone. Reconnecting asks for the code displayed on the controller. The only display is green/yellow/blue LEDs. Using the default 000000 will try several times to connect before saying to forget the controller and reconnect with 000000. Endless cycle...

Attempted PIN code reset. That asks for the PUK code on the sticker. Entering the code on the sticker results in a message to wait 30 sec and try again. Waiting 30 or more sec and trying again gets the same message. Another endless cycle..

Behavior is the same with the Victron connect app on other devices.

The LEDs say the controller is still working. I'd still like to monitor it and the batteries, but the app is now worthless.

Any ideas? Thanks.

VictronConnectsmart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

My smartsolar 250/60 strangely asked for a pin recently and 00000000 did not work so I tried 12345678 which did, but it defies all logic as it was not used setting things up originally.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

xprider avatar image
xprider answered ·

Thanks. Tried 12345678 and 123456, both come back immediately asking for the code displayed on my smart solar 75/15. 000000 and 00000000 go into the almost endless loop trying to connect. Each loop steps up from 20%, may or may not get to the status display before it drops back to 20% and starts again. When the status shows up, sometimes values displayed are reasonable (~20 W from a 30 W panel), sometimes rediculous (80 W), and sometimes null. Enough times through this cycle the app will say to forget the smartsolar and pair with 000000, which restarts the loop.

Trying to reset the pin with the PUK code on the label goes through a few cycles of wait 30 seconds, before it finally fails with "Unknown error ff00"

4 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Interestingly it seems to connect, but does not maintain a connection. Any radio interference? I'd go back to basics, start with deleting the pairing from the phone, ensure the Victron Connect app is up to date and even reset the phone as a precaution. Try again. If that fails remove and reinstall the app. If you have the luxury, also try connecting from another device or phone. Do you know if the smartsolar had a recent firmware update? Is it up to date? Clearly this is stating the obvious, but you won't know unless you try ;) Fingers crossed it is something as simple.

0 Likes 0 ·
xprider avatar image xprider ejrossouw commented ·

As far as I know, there is nothing to cause radio interference unless it is the controller itself. Both iPhone and iPad work with a BlueSolar controller with Bluetooth dongle, but not this smartsolar controller.

Removed the smartsolar from the phone's Bluetooth settings, reinstalled the VictronConnect app, and rebooted the phone. Unplugged the controller from battery and solar, and waited a while before reconnecting. So far none of that has helped.

A couple times the phone connected long enough to get "product info" and see firmware 1.39. Isn't that the latest? It hasn't stayed connected long enough to confirm the restore defaults option.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw xprider commented ·

Yes, 139 is the latest. By process of elimination, it is definitely beginning to look like the bluetooth may actually have an issue in light of the other successful connections you manage to make. I cannot identify a hardware reset option anywhere, however you may be able to use the USB to Ve.direct cable and laptop to get into it's head and reset it. I'd also turn off the Wifi in the phone and only Bluetooth on as they share same frequency. Fast running out of ideas now, other than what changed on the phone maybe etc. firmware upgrades, only android or apple devices etc.

"1.11 Configuring and monitoring- Bluetooth Smart built-in: the wireless solution to set-up, monitor and update the controller using Apple and Android smartphones, tablets or other devices.- Use the VE.Direct to USB cable (ASS030530000) to connect to a PC, a smartphone with Android and USB On-The-Go support (requires additional USB OTG cable).- Use a VE.Direct to VE.Direct cable to connect to a MPPT Control, a Color Control or the Venus GX."

If this does not work you may have to put that 5yr warranty to use.

0 Likes 0 ·
xprider avatar image xprider ejrossouw commented ·

Thanks. I agree it's probably time to test the warranty. Might wait for a Victron response to the "service report" I sent them after upgrading my phone to the beta 5.8 VC. That gets an unexpected disconnect trying to install new firmware on the Bluetooth.

A last resort might be plugging the working Bluetooth dongle into the non-working smartsolar charger. Might get somewhere if the dongle can communicate with the Bluetooth on the charger, but am afraid of something going on with the charger that might fry the working dongle.

0 Likes 0 ·
jonnyt avatar image
jonnyt answered ·

I’m having the same ‘loop’ problem on both my iPhone and iPad.

It’s a brand new BlueSolar 150/70, with latest firmware

Any update?

1 comment
2 |3000

xprider avatar image xprider commented ·

My last try was to install the beta version of the VictronConnect app to upgrade firmware on the controller. The controller disconnects before firmware Installs, so reported that to Victron. They've promised to send a replacement this week

0 Likes 0 ·
Scott Clark avatar image
Scott Clark answered ·

I have had success in the past with Bluetooth connection problems by insuring there is nothing else Bluetooth capable within range - example, customer's smart watch turned out to be interfering with the connection.

After the VictronConnect app reconnected with the device, the watch wasn't a problem.

2 |3000

Daniel avatar image
Daniel answered ·

I got the Same Problem after many failed connects (using a cat s60 Wich has some Bluetooth problems). Then the Controller don't respond or even let connect(While connecting goes to 80% and jumps back to 20% to start all over again or don't even show up). Disconnected the 75/15 from PV and Battery, reconnected after 1h and it worked again.

2 |3000

charlie-k1968 avatar image
charlie-k1968 answered ·

My 100/50 would not connect. After trying several things, I figured out that for some reason Victron connected to my laptop. At one time I ran the app on my laptop, but hadn't in months. Checking the blue tooth connection There they were, paired to my laptop. Once unpaired from my laptop my phone immediately reconnected.

2 |3000

Related Resources

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic