question

Samuel Goldenbaum avatar image
Samuel Goldenbaum asked

Understanding Quattro's PowerAssist functionality for 2nd output leg

We have some aircon and other high consumption devices setup on 2nd output leg of our 5kw Quattro and these are only enabled if an input source is available - shore power or generator.

The startup spike of 4840w on the aircon unit is just a little more than our generator of 4500w can supply so the Quattro shuts that output leg down when it sees the startup spike. This is only a split second at startup and they draw around 900w when running.

My limited understanding was that PowerAssist should kick in to assist here and the Quattro can accommodate a spike equal to double its output - 10kw for us.

An attending technician tells me that PowerAssist would not apply in this instance as it does not work on 2nd output leg? This doesn't sound right according to the product description:

"This feature takes the principle of PowerControl to a further dimension allowing the Quattro to supplement the capacity of the alternative source. Where peak power is so often required only for a limited period, the Quattro will make sure that insufficient mains or generator power is immediately compensated for by power from the battery."

If this is the case, it would cost us an additional $1000 to install soft starts for the AC units, but my limited understanding is that the Quattro should use PowerAssist and allow for a spike of around 10kw in this scenario?

powerassist
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Samuel Goldenbaum avatar image
Samuel Goldenbaum answered ·

Well it turns out that the techs have been incorrect, once again, and simply passing on any BS.

For furture users, here are the steps I went through to resolve this:

1. Setting the current limit of input 1 to 80% of the rated output of the source - my genset
  2. Disabling "overruled by remote" as I actually don't want this accidentally messed with on my GX
  3. Enable Dynamic current limiter
  4. Enabling PowerAssist and setting boost factor to 2

The issue, as I understand it, was that the tech had set the input limit to 50a for source 1 and the source did could not supply this. As the required spike of 27a or so was below the input current limit, the inverter was trying to let the genset supply it and not use PowerAssist. The genset could not deal with it. Setting it to the correct source's output allowed the Quattro so see the genset could not supply it and simply engaged PowerAssist to handle the spike.

All good and able to run both AC fine now.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tilo avatar image
tilo answered ·

Have you (or your installer) tried with activating "Dynamic current limiter" in VE.Configure 3? Is "UPS function" deactivated?

2 comments
2 |3000

Samuel Goldenbaum avatar image Samuel Goldenbaum commented ·

Tilo - should PowerAssist be available for the 2nd output leg? I had a read over Dynamic current limiter now and seems it will use PowerAssist as expected in my scenario. The tech was clear in saying that it was not available for that 2nd high output which I don't believe.

0 Likes 0 ·

Yes, have enabled it and working fine. UPS is disabled.

0 Likes 0 ·
tilo avatar image
tilo answered ·

The Power Assist feature works on both AC Outputs. Sure. Tested again today.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks for testing @tilo

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic