question

donkeydave1980 avatar image
donkeydave1980 asked

100/30 wiring diagram

I brought the 100/30 mppt charge controller wanting a full wiring diagram picture how to wire it up as I'm not sure. solar panels to unit to battery and do I need to put a fuse or circuit breaker somewhere what size if I do any help would be great thanks I have 1 300w solar panel and two 12v batteries

MPPT Controllerswiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi Dave,

I am working on some more diagrams for different kinds of systems right now.

For now, have you seen this one?

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/_media/battery_compatibility:byd-example-diagram-2018-07-21.png

There are many features that are not applicable to your system, but it does show the connections and circuit protection for an MPPT, panels and battery.

The size of the fuse depends entirely on the size of the wire. Rainbow Power Company has some good (if a little old) free resources about what size fuses to use, for what size wires, for what size loads. Have a look https://www.rpc.com.au/information/faq/cables-fuses/do-it-yourself.html

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Scott Clark avatar image Scott Clark commented ·

Great schematic - more please!

To the second point, may I suggest Victron have it's own cabling, fusing/circuit protection standards and battery sizing charts or calculators (like Rainbow Power Company) linked to every product on the website (because nobody reads the manuals). If relevant from a newbie point of view it would probably reduce the stress for all Victron virgins and the repetitive workload for Victron tech support.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Scott Clark commented ·

I agree entirely, and step by step the day will come!

A comprehensive Victron wiring guide is very close to publication.

I will be using it to create more end-user and installer friendly support materials.

4 Likes 4 ·
Cansin Sari avatar image Cansin Sari commented ·

Hey Stewart,

why did you put a twoport fuse near to the batteries and not a oneport fuse in your schematic? When an error on the battery occurs, the battery can not discharge to the ground in your schematic, what is the reason?

Cansin

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Cansin Sari commented ·
The battery has its own connection to ground below the battery connection terminals.

Regardless though, I wouldn't take any grounding advice from any diagram in any circumstances. Specific grounding wiring is very regionally specific and depends on other factors also not in the diagrams.

It all cases local rules and regulations must be followed, and those will specify the nuance details of how they expect the grounding to be done (double pole isolation, chassis to ground, negative to ground, positive to ground, etc, etc).

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Hello Dave

There are various ways of wiring things depending upon what equipment you have. It's all subjective, so there really is no definitive wiring diagram.

Some more information would help us. How many solar panels do you have, and what rating are they (or if you can provide a model number)? What battery bank do you have? 12V, 24V or what? How many individual battery blocks do you have?

Fuses and circuit breaks are always advisable, but again, their rating is subjective.

3 comments
2 |3000

donkeydave1980 avatar image donkeydave1980 commented ·

one 300w solar panel two 100amp amg batteries 12v

0 Likes 0 ·
donkeydave1980 avatar image donkeydave1980 donkeydave1980 commented ·

agm*

0 Likes 0 ·
stevemixco avatar image stevemixco commented ·
3 solar panels 100/30

1 battery Block with two batterys

0 Likes 0 ·