question

torstenb avatar image
torstenb asked

Inverter does not work (high dc-ripple, low battery warning)

For a few days my inverter is not working anymore.
There are no lights on, although it is closed.
The VRM portal shows that it is off.
When the generator is started, the batteries are charged and the charging light goes on. Batteries 100% full. The loading is displayed in the VRM portal.
If you turn off the generator, the inverter goes out again.

230v are only available when the generator is on.

Terror log im vrm.

VE.Bus System Automatic monitoring Warning: High DC Ripple 2019-06-14 09:47:26 1m, 52s
VE.Bus System Automatic monitoring Warning: Low battery 2019-06-14 09:47:25 1m, 53s

Victron multi Plus 12/2000

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @torsten.b

Did you check your battery / DC wiring / fuses?
I think your battery is disconnected or broken, as a low battery warning -and- high DC-ripple warning are indicators of that.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tabney0315 avatar image
tabney0315 answered ·

Any update here? I had the High DC Ripple show up one time this week.

8 comments
2 |3000

Hi @tabney0315

The same answer for your system:

Did you check your battery / DC wiring / fuses?
I think your battery is disconnected or broken, as a low battery warning -and- high DC-ripple warning are indicators of that.

Try disconnecting shore power and see what your battery does.

0 Likes 0 ·
tabney0315 avatar image tabney0315 Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I'll double check the batteries but I doubt it. They have been fine and are less than 2 years old and have been well maintained. It occurred during high load and power assist.

0 Likes 0 ·
tabney0315 avatar image tabney0315 tabney0315 commented ·

But thank you for your response. I'll post an update after I check today.

0 Likes 0 ·

I disconnected from shore power and here is what the battery did. I have a 12v system utilizing 4 - 6v 220AH Lifeline AGMs wired in series / parallel

Also, here was my state of my system when the High DC Ripple. I had a second one occurred today.

Any thoughts?

0 Likes 0 ·
1562886035866.png (117.6 KiB)
1562886446140.png (148.5 KiB)
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ tabney0315 commented ·

I'm not sure about the batteries, but I think a 440Ah battery bank should sag a little less at a 40A load. I'd do a complete discharge to see how much Ah there is left in them.

For the DC-ripple, you'll have to measure in real time with some big loads, check for connections / cables that get warm / hot, etc.
If you can't find anything, get an installer / electrician involved.

On a side note: your PV voltage is very low, this makes it difficult for the MPPT to get a good yield. you might want to wire the panels in series, or use a panel with a higher output voltage.

0 Likes 0 ·
tabney0315 avatar image tabney0315 Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you for your reply.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) Would you mind elaborating what you mean by complete dischargeand how to measure how many AH are left?

For measuring, do you mean through what the BMV712 is reporting?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ tabney0315 commented ·

Charge the batteries, then discharge until empty, check how many Ah were discharged on the BMV.

Then you can set this value in the BMV, and make sure you don't discharge more than 50% of your capacity to make your batteries last.

0 Likes 0 ·