question

Francisco Aroca avatar image
Francisco Aroca asked

Type B Residual Current Device

Wich Victron devices need a type B RCD?

I have read many updated manuals from your web and there might be some contradictions.

In devices such as Quattro, Multiplus and Multiplus II there is nothing about type A or B RCDs, only the sentence:

"An earth leakage circuit breaker and a fuse or circuit breaker rated to support the expected load must be included in series with the output".

While in MultiGrid and EcoMulti there is the sentence:

"This product can cause a d.c. current in the external protective earthing conductor. Where a residual current-operated protective (RCD) or monitoring (RCM) device is used for protection in a case of direct or indirect contact, only an RCD or RCM of Type B is allowed on the supply side of this product".

Thank you!

Multiplus-IIMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargermultigrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

fwiw I used a RCD type A for my multiplus. Cost of type B here in Australia is exorbitant, last time I checked. It was close to the cost of the multiplus.

I don't know how effective it would be w.r.t blinding, but the test switch worked :P

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Victron themselves provide a Chint NL1 in their 5kVA Easysolar box. Seem to be a Type A.

2 |3000

Anil Ghatikar avatar image
Anil Ghatikar answered ·

I had enough trouble with spurious trippings on my 5 KVA x 3 setup with both Type A and Type AC I had also a high amount of electronics load on the ouput - All LED bulbs, multiple AV systems and around 55 IOT devices with inverter type Air conditioners

Changing to Type F from ABB( AC out 1) and Type Si from Schinder ( AC out 2) solved all the problems

2 |3000

dangermouse avatar image
dangermouse answered ·

Hi Just for info I found this website useful when selecting RCD types it might help you.

https://www.hager.co.uk/news-exhibitions-case-studies/18th-edition/selection-of-type-of-rcd/90066.htm

1 comment
2 |3000