question

suavek avatar image
suavek asked

Generator doesn't start on automatic start if battery voltage drops - Venus functionality

I've set in Venus OS automatic start if voltage drops below certain value and it doesn't start even if voltage drops 1V below set parametr. Fortunately it can be triggered on inverter output power set, I assume the automatic start / stรณp function works but not with voltage parametr.

Venus OSGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ยท

Please advise FW version that you are running on the venus it should be 2.31 ???

if its not then please retest.

I am not aware of a problem in this area as I also use voltage to start and stop my Generator via the Venus relay and this is working correctly for me. I am using Fw 2.31

Check your delay start setting

1560310358075.png (59.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

suavek avatar image
suavek answered ยท

My Venus runs on 2.31. Reset didn't help neither.

During these settings battery voltage was below 12.5V for a whole night.

7 comments
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ยท

You dont seem to have any battery monitor selected so how can it read a voltage ???

OR

You have do not run generator when ac1 is in use.

so the generator will not start if there is any AC on the AC1 in

even if its turned off by the inverter due to bad feed in or some other power issue or ignore AC1 in.

So have a look in those areas and see if thats of help

0 Likes 0 ยท
suavek avatar image suavek Paul B commented ยท

I don't have a battery monitor installed but Venus reads the voltage from Smart Solar MPPT connected via VE.direct. Please see the screenshots:

There is no power at Multi input AC1. Please keep in mind the gererator starts automatically when there is AC load triggered.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Paul B avatar image Paul B suavek commented ยท

It may do that as you say but the Autostart generator feature only uses the Battery monitor as its source of input as par as I know.

0 Likes 0 ยท

@Jeroen, can you confirm: Venus can't use MPPT (Smart Solar) battery voltage nor VE.Bus (Multi) voltage to trigger Generator start

0 Likes 0 ยท

I cant confirm that a Victron staff would have to confirm that. but thats what it looks like to me as the voltage control is working well on all my instalations and they all have a BMV or a Multiplus as there battery monitor.

I know that a VE-Bus Multiplus 12/1600 and up can be used if you turn on there internal battery monitor

So to me if yours does not work thats the issue no avalable battery monitor,

you mention VE.Bus (Multi) so turn that monitor on in VE Configure then select that as your battery monitor

But I can always be wrong

0 Likes 0 ยท

Do you remember where in VE Configure can I find this feature to turn on the internal battery monitor?

0 Likes 0 ยท

Also keep in mind that as you have "do not run generator when AC1 is in use" turned ON. and If the generator is connected here to AC1 in and a autostart is enabled then as soon as AC is seen on AC1 in then the Gen autostart will turn off.

So I would suggest turn that you turn that option OFF if the gen is connected to the AC1 in

Using a Mk 2 or MK 3 plus VE Configure

0 Likes 0 ยท
1560926443572.png (43.9 KiB)
1560950604457.png (415.0 KiB)