question

Stephen Otto avatar image
Stephen Otto asked

Smart Battery Sense with CCGX

I purchased a Smart Battery Sense unit previously, but am close to deciding to go ahead and purchase the CCGX. Will there be any use for the Smart Battery Sense (i.e., can the CCGX use its data) once the CCGX is installed, or will I not be able to utilize it with my system at all?

Venus OSCCGX Color ControlSmart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

As long as you do NOT enable STS & SVS (DVCC functionality) with the CCGX, yes it will continue to work independently via the existing VE.Smart Network with your MPPT.

However, it will not report any of the Smart Battery Sense info on the CCGX.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stephen Otto avatar image Stephen Otto commented ·

Ok, what if I just decided to return it while getting the ccgx. Is there a way to have precisely the same functionality using just the ccgx and smartsolar, or would that require a BMV?

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ Stephen Otto commented ·

Yes you will need a BMV-702 or BMV-712 with the temperature sensor accessory.

Then it can transfer the voltage & temperature to the MPPT via the VE.Direct cables & CCGX using DVCC > SVS (shared voltage sense) & STS (shared temperature sense).

If you happen to also have a Multiplus you could use this as the source (since it has separate voltage sense terminals & a temperature sensor) , but STS from the Multiplus is not yet available (but should be coming soon). There are also draw-backs using a Multiplus as the source, as it wont transmit any data if it is turned off.

If you don't have a BMV yet - I highly recommend purchasing one for battery SOC % monitoring. There is also little point getting a fancy CCGX unless you have a proper system for it to monitor & display data from.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stephen Otto avatar image Stephen Otto Mark ♦♦ commented ·

Good points. I do have a multiplus, but I do NOT have the digital multicontrol panel. Since panel itself is not a cheap purchase, my thinking was that perhaps I should spend just a bit more to get the ccgx since it is so much more functional. I have a 123\smartbms system for the battery which monitors SOC etc and which I was planning to relay to the multiplus and possibly to the mppt.

Does anyone know whether the CAN interface on 123\smartbms's expanded module would be able to communicate with the CAN bus that is built into the ccgx?

0 Likes 0 ·

Yeah you should also be able to use the BMS as the source. Have a read of the CCGX manual;

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start

0 Likes 0 ·
1560214355425.png (143.3 KiB)
Stephen Otto avatar image Stephen Otto Mark ♦♦ commented ·

Wow, nice. Thanks for pointing this out!

0 Likes 0 ·

No worries. Have fun with the CCGX when you get it.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources