question

twistedtree avatar image
twistedtree asked

Paralleled Skylla-i

I am confused about paralleling Skylla-i devices. The Skylla manual says you can not parallel two and three output models. However all the Skylla models are two or three output, which means none can be paralleled. This can't be correct, can it? I want to parallel two 24/100 units, so which models, if any, can do that?

Skylla
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Allan Yates avatar image
Allan Yates answered ·

I run two Skylla-IP40 12/60 units in parallel; a solid 120A charging current into the battery bank. I think these are basically the same as the Skylla-i, but I don't know for sure.

Allan.

img-2058.jpg (2.6 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

twistedtree avatar image
twistedtree answered ·

No doubt it works in at least some cases. I just need to understand the caveat in the Skylla-i manual that seems to exclude all Skylla-i models from this feature. I'm guessing it's a mistake in the manual, or that I'm misunderstanding what is meant by the wording of the exception. Hopefully someone from Victron can provide definitive clarification.

2 |3000

twistedtree avatar image
twistedtree answered ·

I'm really confused by your Skylla IP44. On the front it says 12/60/1-output. Yet the connections include something marked "stater bat" which appears to be a second output. So is it one output, or two?

2 |3000

Allan Yates avatar image
Allan Yates answered ·

The "single" output Skylla also has a trickle charge output (3A I think) for a starter battery.

img-1667.jpg (796.5 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

twistedtree avatar image twistedtree commented ·

OK, so the "single" output charger has two outputs. Must be another translation issues.

0 Likes 0 ·

OK, so with the Skylla-IP44, the "single" output model has two outputs. And I guess with the Skylla-I, two outputs means two outputs, and three outputs means three output? You can see why I'm confused.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ole Saether avatar image
Ole Saether answered ·

The section below is taken from the Skylla-i manual. It clearly says that you can parallel them. The only exception is that you cannot parallel a two output model with a three output model.

2.3.6. Synchronised parallel operation

Several chargers can be synchronised with the CAN interface. This is achieved by simply interconnecting the chargers with RJ45 UTP cables (bus terminators needed, see section 2.3.5). The paralleled chargers must have identical DIP switch and rotary switch settings. A mix of Skylla-i 100A and 80A chargers can be paralleled. Two output and three output chargers cannot be paralleled with each other

1 comment
2 |3000

Ah ha, that explains it. It's a language thing. "You can not parallel a two output model with a three output model" is clear and unambiguous. The manual says two and three output models can't be paralleled with each other, which implies any and all combination. I see now they only meant 2+3 and 3+2 combinations, and not 2+2 or 3+3.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
twistedtree avatar image
twistedtree answered ·

I keep posting comments and they keep disappearing. Sorry if they later all magically appear.

So the issue is a language problem. Saying "you cannot parallel two output models with three output models" is clear and unambiguous. But the manual says you can't parallel two output and three output models with each other, which can only be taken as "with each other" in any combination. So I think 2+3 and 3+2 models are not allowed, but 2+2 and 3+3 are allowed.

And I gather that the Skylla-IP44 "single" output has two outputs? You can see how that might be confusing.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic