question

Sam avatar image
Sam asked

Solar Charger not charging

Hi,

I’m after some technical assistance with an off-grid Victron system that we are having a few issues with.

The system is comprised of 1 x MultiPlus 24/5000/120, 3 x BlueSolar 150/7, a 24V EpzV battery bank and an auto-start Generator.

The main issue we are having is that the system keeps on dropping out due to low battery voltage.

The generator is programmed to come on well before the low battery cut-off voltage and has been confirmed that auto-start is working correctly. The only issue with the auto-start generator is that the site is fairly remote and only visited a few times a month, so I’m guessing the generator is eventually running out of fuel.

After a recent site visit, it was found that the BlueSolar MPPT’s were not producing wattage. There was PV voltage of around 73V and battery voltage of 25V which were both shown when connected to the MPPT via the VictronConnect app, but no flow of current to the battery bank / inverter, even with a load of around 1kW. It looks like the MPPT’s were operating correctly, then all three have dropped out. I’ve attached a chart of their daily performance over a 30 day period showing when they dropped out.

So I guess the real issue is that the system is solely reliant on the generator, which is running out of fuel after a few days.

Any thoughts on why the MPPT’s would cut out ? I had thought blown fuses but they were sensing battery voltage and all three units are having the same issue.

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargeroffgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @sam, sorry to hear that.

First trouble shooting steps are here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/drafts:mppt_faq#q6the_solar_charger_is_not_working

And if that doesn’t help, contact your dealer; see process here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/support

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thunt601 avatar image
thunt601 answered ·

Did you ever fix this. I have the same issue with my mppt.

1 comment
2 |3000

Sam avatar image Sam commented ·

Hi,

It turned out that it was blown fuses. Would be worth checking voltage on both sides of your fuse /s , as we had MPPT voltage significantly higher than the battery side and no continuity through fuses.

0 Likes 0 ·