question

offgridfarmer avatar image
offgridfarmer asked

DC RCD (GFI) between solar array mounted on a shipping container and smart solar mppt 250/100

Has anybody fitted a DC RCD between their solar array and controller?

I'm reading the solar electricity hand book and it recommends doing this and wondered if this is a requirement in the uk or just a good idea.

My array is mounted on top of a shipping container and I have a smart solar mppt 250/100 feeding a 48v battery pack and also a Phoenix 5000w inverter.

The solar array frame is grounded separately.

MPPT ControllersPhoenix InverterGrounding
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Earth Fault Alarm Requirements vary greatly from different regions. I do not believe they are required at this voltage in the UK, though I could be wrong.

It's the job of your local Victron Professional to know the rules and local electrical standards compliance requirements.

As of today, in Australia there are requirements for earth fault alarms between panels and power control equipment beyond >120V DC.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

offgridfarmer avatar image offgridfarmer commented ·

Thanks Guy, I don't think it's a legal requirement in the UK. I just like the safety aspect of it.

Can you recommend one to use please?

Best wishes

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ offgridfarmer commented ·

Sorry to be vague, but my recommendation is to speak to a local professional :)

There was another similar question on the community here that you may find interesting:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/191/earth-fault-alarm-monitor-in-parallel-to-the-mppt2.html

0 Likes 0 ·