question

john-hagtharp avatar image
john-hagtharp asked

Please clarify some details regarding programming ACOut2

I'm using the programmable relay assistant to modify the behaviour of the ACOut2 relay. Some questions:

1. Does the existence of programmable relay assistants for the ACOut2 relay disable it's normal functionality or do I need to expect the standard functionality may have altered it's state before the programmable relay assistants get involved?
  2. I've tried "when no Overload pre-alarm for 600 seconds" and am not sure it's acting as I expected. Which of the following does it actually mean?
    • when (no Overload pre-alarm) for 600 seconds OR
    • when no (Overload pre-alarm for 600 seconds)
  3. Do the alarm conditions stack on top of the corresponding pre-alarm conditions or is the pre-alarm condition cleared when the alarm condition is triggered?
Assistants
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi john, to get the quickest answer I have sugested the below I know its not what you wanted but sometimes we just have to do it Bugger, anyway someone else may know for shore and reply. but thats my guess Sorry

if I was you I would test the senerios myself, I dont think a lot of people are using the AC2 out assistants (I am not)

so its then hard to give you a answer without doing the testing ourselves

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

john-hagtharp avatar image john-hagtharp commented ·

Thanks Paul. The answer I'd really like from someone at Victron would be along the lines of:

Looking at your questions, I realised the documentation for the programmable relay assistant is lacking necessary detail. I've now updated it so please take another look.

If not, as you suggest, I'll continue trying things out and running tests to determine how it actually behaves.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @John Hagtharp

1. if using assistants on ACout2 relay, the normal functionality of ACout2 is overruled

2. can you explain the difference in those two?

do remember you need at least two assistants per function, 1 to turn on a relay, and another to turn it off again.

3. sorry I don't know, I'll ask for you.

2 comments
2 |3000

john-hagtharp avatar image john-hagtharp commented ·

Hi Daniël,

1. As for normal ACout2 functionality being overruled, I've intentionally made sure ACout2 is either set on or set off every time the programmable relay assistants are processed. I'm confident that this "overrules" any normal functionality. What I'm not so sure of is whether I could not set it at all on some passes through and be confident it would stay as I left it or whether the normal functionality might come into play.

2. After too many years in IT, I tend to think of anyone technical as another programmer which is why I wrote it that way.

"when (no Overload pre-alarm) for 600 seconds" would mean to me that "any prior overload pre-alarm state has been cleared for at least 10 minutes".

"when no (Overload pre-alarm for 600 seconds)" would mean to me that "we are not 10 minutes or more into an overload pre-alarm state".

Without the brackets (as displayed in the assistant), it could be interpreted either way. Rather than taking the literal english meaning of the sentence, I'm assuming the "no" is just negating a condition and I'm wondering which condition it's negating. I think I assumed the first and started to wonder when it did not behave as expected. It's still a work in progress though and trial and error would eventually answer the question.

3. thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ john-hagtharp commented ·

2. I see what you mean now, i've never thought about it too much, as the assistant construction's I made mostly just worked...yes I know not a good answer.

I don't know what logic you want to construct, but please also have a look at the 'generator start/stop' assistant, as you can easily make complicated functions in just one assistant. Like switching the ACout2 relay based on:

-battery voltage (and / or SOC)
-load
-availability of AC-in
-etc.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources