question

neal-at-sea avatar image
neal-at-sea asked

What size cables for IP22 battery charger?

Hi I have just purchased an Blue Smart IP22 Charger 30A (3) to use in my camper van. I was wondering what size cables should I install to charge the batteries? One battery is <1m away and 12V 75Ah, the second battery is about 4m away and 12V 100Ah. Also I guess it should be Ok to just ground the negative to the chassis?

battery chargingchargerwiringcampervan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

1 meter away one 6mm MIN the 4 mtr away 10mm

no harm in using 100 mm for all of them

if you are not concerned with a little bit of volt drop at full amps the 6mm for the 4 mtr run is ok as well, (it will get warm (not hot) when charging 30 amps)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Pardon me Paul for just adding a little clarification for all the diy'ers out there. I'm sure you mean mm2, and the suggestions fine. Each batt in practice is unlikely to see more than 0.2C (Pb's, charge only), so 15A for the first and 20A for the second. The IP22 terminals can handle 13 mm2.

Take care though Neal when buying 'auto' cable. The roll may say a mm2 which includes the insulation, the wire actual size much less, so look to the 'fine print'.

2 comments
2 |3000

bamboozle46 avatar image bamboozle46 commented ·
Hi JohnC,

can you use 6mm squared solar cable to attach to the IP22 smart charger or does it have to be 12v 50a 6mm squared battery cable???

Thanks,

Barry.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ bamboozle46 commented ·
This will work, but the insulation is thick and the cable 8s very stiff.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic