question

seltsam avatar image
seltsam asked

SmartSolar 75/15 just died?

He guys, I'm running the SmartSolar 75/15 on 2x100W for a couple if weeks now - everything working fine.

Since yesterday the Ampere shown in the Bluetooth-Interface are stuck to 0.0A. Measuring Voltage and Ampere on the PV Connections everything seems fine and as expected - the panels are providing the expected power.

The LEDs on the device are indicating "not charging" (one single blue LED blinking), and in the Interface under the "Battery"-Section it is shown as "off" - whatever that means.

I haven't changed anything in my setup, and my old Solar Charger seems to be working fine.

Did my Victron just die here?

Love to hear your ideas.

Cheers

battery chargingBluetoothDVCC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi. 'Battery off' is saying it can't see a batt V. Maybe blown fuse, open breaker/isolator or something.

If you could check the BATT terminals on it with a multimeter, directly on the unit's own metal, and it shows Vbat, then it may be faulty.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Indeed, always start with the basics ...

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@seltsam A couple of things jump to mind. What is the battery voltage at the terminals? Did the controller maybe do a low voltage disconnect? Also, to start charging, the PV must be V.Bat +5 and thereafter +1V to maintain the charge.

2 |3000

seltsam avatar image
seltsam answered ·

@ejrossouw Huh, its working again. I just put the Panels in serial, instead of parallel. Now the Voltage is higher. The Panels are Installed on a campervan, and today is a especially warm and sunny day. Could it be, that the panels performance suffers under the heat, thus producing less voltage to kick the charge-process off?

Thanks! :-)

4 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Voltage drop typically occurs after 25 degrees C and just imagine those panels baking in the sun. If shading etc. is not of major concerns, I'd personally connect PV in serial to raise the starting voltage as it ensures the charge controller can start working sooner and stop later. Additionally it also lowers the current, which means you can often benefit from thinner wires. Glad it is sorted. Happy camping.

0 Likes 0 ·
seltsam avatar image seltsam ejrossouw commented ·

The Sun is pretty perfect right now, but my readings only show 100W, 28.5V and 3.5A.

Any idea why it performs so poorly (besides the heat) ? Thank you :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw seltsam commented ·

Panel angle, shade, heat, actual load, panel efficiency etc. will all attribute to output and performance figures. Unfortunately without having a more detailed understanding of your exact system components, setup parameter etc. I'd only hazard wild guesses, What loads apart from the battery do you have on it? Do you have an inverter? Try turning on a kettle and see if it increases etc. Does the old controller produce the same output if you swapped it out now?

0 Likes 0 ·
seltsam avatar image seltsam ejrossouw commented ·

Well, just compared to the usual output I get when put in parallel (170W ish). Could have been that in-series has some loss, or I have to adjust my settings. Will see how it goes the next days. Thanks for your Help! :-)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect bluetooth troubleshooting guide

DVCC chapter in GX manual