question

evhaandel avatar image
evhaandel asked

Venus GX - Two IP connections?

Today I noticed a new device in my (Unifi) network. The device was connected on the same switch port as the Venus GX and after connecting to the IP I did see the Remote Terminal Console interface of the Venus GX.

The device has it's own MAC address and is connected with an IP outside of my home network "IP range". I think this additional device is a result of the new firmware v2.30, but I'm not sure. I did btw disable the WIFI of the Venus GX.

The properties of the unknown/new device.

And the settings of the Victron Venus GX.

Anyone an idea why the Venus GX is connecting with a second IP connection?

Venus GX - VGX
img-0535.jpg (106.3 KiB)
img-0534.jpg (106.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
jeroen avatar image
jeroen answered ·

From the v2.30 change-log: "Add a link local interface parallel to the ethernet: this make the link local address directly available instead of only after a DHCP timeout. See https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/361"

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi EVH. 169.254.x.x is a 'default' IP address, possibly related to a missing DHCP server on your network. I doubt it's anything to fear, as it will be local to you and your system, not public. Google for it, but might be caused by a number of things.

I've actually seen it on my own CCGX when my local routing isn't set up right. And for me, meant I had no internet connection. More accurately, no dhcp to give it an address, so 169... gets created.

But I've never seen it happen in parallel with a legit 192.168.x.x address. So I can't explain that.. but nor do I use wifi on CCGX.

Can you delete it? Or reboot GX? It won't be a hacker though, nor can I say the cause isn't 2.30.

It's local to you though, and something to be gotten rid of.. :)

2 |3000

mahumuc avatar image
mahumuc answered ·

Hi,

i have a question to this local ipv4 link.

according to here its meant to be there: Add ipv4 link local addressing #361

• always assign and keep a link local address; regardless of the other common ip address, ie the DHCP assigned one, or manually configured one.

My probplem is now that during every reboot this local ipv4 is using a different mac which is triggering my firewall and also my eero wireless system to report a new device.

Is there any recommended way to disable the local ipv4 or atleast to force it somehow to use the same mac during reboots ?

Thank you in advance :)

2 |3000

peregrines avatar image
peregrines answered ·

bildschirmfoto-2023-03-03-um-044656.png

Having a similar problem.
Every boot of my Raspberry Pi it will asaign a new IP adress (different from my Routers IP Range).
I am having problems with dropouts also :(

2 |3000