question

sieade245 avatar image
sieade245 asked

How to add another ET112 or ET340

Hi guys. I recently bought a Victron AC current sensor to measure PV inverter output but I'm missing the AUX in ports and I want to keep temperature compensation so I'm looking at alternative ways to do this. My current setup is as follows, setup as ESS, AC coupled:

I could add another ET112 as follows:

I want to use the same USB-RS485 cable if possible. I remember reading that you can't change the MODBUS address of the ET112 without software from Carlo however my CCGX devices pages appears to let me change the MODBUS ID as below:

If I change this to 30 for example, I get two grid meters on the main menu briefly, with one showing "not connected", and the other reading the grid and I can go into this new one in devices and it shows Modbus ID 30. Does this change the Modbus ID of the ET112 itself or is it a Venus OS address?

The other option is to add an ET340. I've had a look at the standard diagram for this as below:

Just looking at this, unless I'm reading it wrong, the grid metering only appears it would measure current going into/out of the multiplus and pv inverter whilst ignoring the AC load currents (are they supposed to be top right? Or are the loads expected to be connected to the AC OUT of the multiplus? which would be different to my setup so I came up with the following diagram but not sure if it is correct depending on how the CCGX is setup and what it expects in this special dual function mode:

Does this seem like it might work or is there a diagram I'm missing for a parallel grid setup and the ET340 dual mode function?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESSEnergy Meter
1554324213201.png (29.4 KiB)
1554324260492.png (30.4 KiB)
1554324351404.png (69.8 KiB)
1554324489244.png (152.8 KiB)
1554324712238.png (32.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You can have two meters on the same RS485/USB cable, I have a EM111 and EM24 meters with one RS485/USB converter.

Make sure you are using the terminators if your cable is longer than a couple of metres.

With the ET340 ET112 meters (no display) you need the Carlo Gavazzi software to change the ID. You can't change the ID from the CCGX.

I did post a link to the Carlo Gavazzi software in a different question, if I find it before you do, I'll link it here. I'm on a train now using a mobile telephone so finding things on the internet is awkward and the Carlo Gavazzi website is a true masterpiece in poor website design.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sieade245 avatar image sieade245 commented ·

That' ok Wkirby, I've followed your other post on this with the software...thanks. Which topology would you go for?

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ sieade245 commented ·

Since you already have a ET112, then another ET112 would be cheaper than buying a ET340. But maybe you could recover some money by selling your ET112.

Also depends on the wiring, if it is easy to get both circuits to the ET340 then it may be more elegant.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Link to Carlo Gavazzi instructions. Adding here so that other people might find it more easily. It's not really obvious on their badly designed website:

Go here: http://www.gavazziautomation.com/ then under the map search "ET112" then click the PDF file near the bottom where it says ET112, then a window comes up with PDF and ZIP!

2 |3000

fesolar avatar image
fesolar answered ·

for information, you can found the Carlo Gavazzi software here:

carlo gavazzi soft

2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Yes i did this some years ago with 2x ET112 meters and changing the mod-bus ID with the Carlo software.

I this has being noted in another part of the forum here some were.

And it works very well in controlling a ESS system.

Rob D

NZ

2 |3000