question

fcriado avatar image
fcriado asked

Smartsolar 250/100 energy transfer to Multiplus

Hi everyone!

I am updating an old offgrid system with a new one based on Victron equipment: 4kwp pv panels, Smartsolar 250/100, Multiplus 48/5000 and CCGX.

Due to budget restrictions, the client is not able to update the battery at the time, and he will continue to use 4x 250Ah 12v monoblock batteries.

In order not to overcharge the battery, I will define the charge current limit to 30A.

My question is: is it possible to set in any way the Smartsolar to put more current into the DC bus while there are loads in the system (identified by the Multiplus)?

If not, will it may be considered as a FEATURE REQUEST?

I have already advised the client to upgrade the battery, and he will do in a year or two, when the current batteries die; so he can save some money.

Thanks for your help guys!

Fernando

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

If you set a charge current limit in the DVCC settings menu of the CCGX it should allow the MPPT to power loads, but not provide excessive current to the batteries.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Exactly, the answer to “is it possible to set in any way the Smartsolar to put more current into the DC bus while there are loads in the system (identified by the Multiplus)?” is yes.

documentation here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start and then the dvcc chapter

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Fernando. I have a similar system and once was concerned about this. In practice you'll likely find that the batts will 'self-limit' by V and your client may never see 30A anyway into batts alone.

And if he did it might amount to just one per-minute spike on the VRM portal graphs. That can easily be exceeded on loads out of the batts, often for a longer time, and more frequently.

I applaud your concern for your client's wellbeing, but frankly I don't see that limit as even worth setting. I don't with my own.. and I pay the battery bills. :)

By all means monitor him and see what he's doing. Perhaps go from there if issues arise.

Talking Pb's here, not exotics. Mine are floodeds.

Edit/: I DO set a limit on my generator input into the Multi. Similar situation, but the focus for me then is to keep the genny stable & happy. Whether it goes to loads or batts I don't care, nor does the Multi/GX. Then I'll look at batt A to maybe make adjustments, because when I run the genny the batts will be 'down' and the supply full-on. So A can get excessive, and I limit it then..

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic