question

Sam Pountney avatar image
Sam Pountney asked

Help with voltages and charging numbers.

Hello. Wonder if you could help me out.

I've a built camper van. I'm competent in wring any electrical systems as I'm a commercial vehicle mechanic/ electrician.

I've gone for all victron Electronics.
And crown Cr220 6volt battery's. (a quick Google will find the data sheet)

Just need help with what numbers/ voltages to set the systems up.

I have a bmv712 smart.
Mppt 100/30 smart with 2x victron 100w panels wired in series.. (will likely add another 2 before winter).
4 x crown cr220 6v battery's. Giving me 440ah at 12v(2pairs in series the those in parrellel)

Also have a Victron orion 70amp 24-12 dropper Charging the battery's when the truck is running.

Also have a victron 500w inverter and 20ah ip22 240v charger.

BMV Battery MonitorSolar Panelsmart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Sam Pountney avatar image
Sam Pountney answered ·

crowncr220datasheet.pdf

Uploaded the battery data sheet

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Sam. I think you'll find your Victron chargers will arrive with defaults suited to your floodeds. So plug'n'play, but you could tweak to suit the minor differences you might note from the batt specs. Temp compensation will be applied, but is for you to do the sums to see if that matches that recommended. But they're floodeds, pretty tolerant, so is dependent on how picky you are.

The exception is the Orion, which will need adjustment to it's stock 12.1V? output. It doesn't follow a charge regime, but maybe set to a Maintenance/Float of (say) 13.2V. Tiny screwdriver through a little hole to do that. A relay to switch it in/out with engine status and/or manually would be useful too.

2 comments
2 |3000

hansivanwagen avatar image hansivanwagen commented ·

I also have the same issue. Could you please tell me how to change output voltage? I can’t seem to find a little hole to put a screwdriver in... mine is also a Orion 24->12v DC converter.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ hansivanwagen commented ·

Hi Hans. My answer there was somewhat inadequate. My bad. There are many Orion models, some I'm not familiar with, and some can't be adjusted at all. If you can't find it in the manual, perhaps ask a separate question on the forum with full details of your model.

Some of the manuals for this simpler kit may be a little on the brief side, so stand and be counted. Victron actually listen to such 'complaints'..

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic