question

rloftinbiz avatar image
rloftinbiz asked

ESS - Mobile/Marine or not

I find conflicting information between the video and documentation about ESS.

The video suggests that for both marine and mobile ESS works. When shore/solar/generator power is removed it simply switches to storage which has been kept charged and available while alternate sources of power were available.

This sounds perfect for mobile installations. Do not have any need to feed the grid.

However in the documentation section 1. When not to use ESS. It simply states not in mobile or marine applications.

Only one of these should be correct. I need something for a mobile application similar to the first idea.

It seems ESS can when other power sources are unavailable use storage. When other power is available those sources are used and ESS keeps the storage system ready.

I don't care if ESS does not fit this need. It just seemed from the video it was a elegant and flexible solution. And that is what I am looking for.

I need management for a mobile system that has solar, storage, and shore/generator power usually available but not always. I wish to go off grid, have solar power during the day and battery at night. Maybe on bad days use a generator. When in town plug in to the shore power I am usually paying for.

Currently in place are twin Quattros producing 240V split phase. I want to always have the 240v split phase working. The are times, generator/30A shore where only single phase is available. As I understand it, one Quattro will use the shore power and the other storage/solar to generate split phase. Sometimes that will happen and hopefully not be an issue.

So looking for the best setup, assistant, or plan to keep my mobile system running well.

Thanks for any insight about the conflicting documentation and help,

Richard

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESSVEConfigure 3Assistantssystem design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

There is noting saying you cant use it, if it works for you that all is fine

the issue you MAY have especially if its a muti inverter is that the ESS MAY want to back feed power to your generator under some conditions , and thus this may damage your generator

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ben avatar image ben ♦ commented ·

This is not the primary reason it is not recommended. There are more dangerous scenarios than generator damage that can occur.

0 Likes 0 ·
solardude avatar image
solardude answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) @mvader (Victron Energy Staff) Do either of you have any input on this topic? I have scoured the forum and have found conflicting information. Questions I feel need clarification are:

1. Can ESS be used for marine/mobile? (The official ESS manual states not to use ESS in marine or mobile applications. Several posts by numerous users say it is OK)

If the answer to #1 is NO, then the following questions are moot.

2. Can ESS 100% prevent back feeding to the grid if configured correctly?

3. Is anti-islanding device 100% mandatory if using ESS? (this probably is a deal breaker for marine users)

2. Can ESS safely be used with gasoline generator? ESS manual only specifies diesel.

I believe many marine users(myself included) are looking for a simple, reliable way to self-consume, while still having the grid or generator to automatically fall back to if necessary.

Personally, I have tried using the virtual switch, but doesn't seem to work as expected all the time, and has to be configured via ve. configure. If anyone has some screen shots that can help me, it would be appreciated. Basically, I want to ignore AC1-IN anytime my battery is above 50V. I can't seem to keep it working. Sometimes it will toggle as expected, sometimes it gets locked one way or the other. I haven't felt confident in it enough to leave it unattended yet, so I have been leaving it as a UPS backup with mains on.

I also wish there was a way in CCGX that i could manually toggle between 'ingore AC1 in" and "don't ignore AC1 in". (maybe there is and I can't figure it out).

1 comment
2 |3000

1. Can ESS be used for marine/mobile? (The official ESS manual states not to use ESS in marine or mobile applications. Several posts by numerous users say it is OK)

1: No, technically it can be used, but it is not allowed in 'pluggable' installations. (AFAIK, also depends on local regulations / grid code)

If the answer to #1 is NO, then the following questions are moot.

2. Can ESS 100% prevent back feeding to the grid if configured correctly?

2:No, in ESS mode, depending on settings, it can be mostly prevented until the battery is fully charged, but there will be at least short durations of back-feeding
This is all due to grid code rules and the way ESS mode operates.

3. Is anti-islanding device 100% mandatory if using ESS? (this probably is a deal breaker for marine users)

3: this depends on local Grid rules / what inverters are used.

0 Likes 0 ·