question

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) asked

MultiPlus Compact 12/1600/70 Firmware 2606459 does not get out of Absorption plus no Bulk phase

Hi,

want to have this as a separate thread just for better visibility, so it does not get lost or mixed up with the other problem I had.

Problem is with firmware 459 and Multi Compact 12/1600/70. It keeps staying in absorption mode forever, regardless of battery state (full) and does not switch to float and in the end will toast my battery bank. Edit: and I just realised while switching the Charger Mode on via Remote Console, that it goes straight into absorption. No bulk at all.

VRM access possible to switch Multi On/Off/Charger Only, if someone wants to try. Setting file available as well. Hope someone from the developers can look into it.

firmware update
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Vihann avatar image Vihann commented ·

What batteries do you have installed?

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Vihann commented ·

Hello,

440Ah battery bank made of 4x110Ah Victron VRLA AGM.

Other components among batteries and Multiplus Compact:

Raspberry Pi running Venus OS 2.30~47

BlueSolar MPPT 150/35 with 3x150Wp in parallel

SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 with 1x135Wp

MK3 USB Interface

VE.Direct USB dongles

Digital Multi Control (currently not connected for remote on/off Multiplus Compact)

0 Likes 0 ·
Vihann avatar image Vihann Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

hi

I do believe that the problem is that you do not have sufficient solar power to charge the batteries in bulk phase.

you will need about 800watts worth of PV to get sufficient charge current to the batteries, plus your loads are also taking PV power, making your available PV even less.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Vihann commented ·

PV Power is not the problem. PV is charging as it should be and it is running fine for over a year.

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

With many thanks to @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) @mvader (Victron Energy Staff) and @Murraynated!

Problem has been solved. DVCC behaved completely different from what I have thought it will do. Matthijs was so nice to explain how DVCC is working, what it does and what it can do. He also revised the DVCC section of the Color Control GX manual so that it is much better explained what to expect and how to configure DVCC depending on Victron components installed.

See: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#dvcc_-_distributed_voltage_and_current_control

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

graham avatar image
graham answered ·

Stefanie what is the length of the cables from the Multiplus to the batteries and what size is is mmsq or AWG

1 comment
2 |3000

Length of cables are the original. I think they are 1.5m long. Size is 70mm2.

Original firmware is 2606154. So that's the new large processor. Unit is 2.5 years old.

0 Likes 0 ·
graham avatar image
graham answered ·

Also what was the original firmware in the 12/1600/70 particularly interested in the first four numbers

2 |3000

And it becomes even more worse. Once Multi switched on, the Charger goes now straight into Float, no matter what SoC or Battery voltage looks like.

Either I'm completely dumb to set the system up to work or the firmware has a huge bug.

2 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Hi Stefanie,

I see the SOC is close to 100%, and the battery hardly accepts any current (fully charged). do you use a BMV to control the Multi?

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ boekel ♦ commented ·

Hi Boekel,

yes. A BMV 702 is connected and setup in Venus to control the Multi.

What you see under Ve.Bus state, was all controlled manually through Remote control. In other words, I switched the Multi on/off because I cannot let it run by itself. Not trusting the system for now.

Meanwhile it changed again to what it was before after I switched DVCC off. Absorption (last Ve.Bus state lasted for more than 3 hours before I switched the Multi off just a couple of minutes ago) forever. Not sure if that really is the cause because DVCC was switched on all the time.

0 Likes 0 ·

This is sitting still unresolved. Problem is persisting, which is quite disappointing because the only fix is to revert back to a firmware which doesn't support Assistants or buy a new Multi which is not a Compact.

3 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Hi @Stefanie

Best to follow normal support procedure if problems persist:

https://www.victronenergy.com/support

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ boekel ♦ commented ·

Hi @Boekel,

I bought all my Victron devices through a local company supplying blue water sailors with equipment. This company does not longer exist. My guess is that they purchased from someone else in Germany and I have a guess who it is. But doubt that they could be of any help in case of firmware problems. However, I will give it a try.

Thanks for your help

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

They can check everything and contact Level3 support if they find anything wrong.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic