question

mikeb avatar image
mikeb asked

How to use more than 2 MPPTs with Byd and CCGX on ve direct/usb

Just wanting to put this one out

Colour gx, byd, Bmu 3 smart mppt’s

The colour gx only has 2 ve direct ports so is it safe to say the ve direct to usb lead can be used for the 3rd mppt and not cause any issues?

BYD
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I updated the subject to make it clearer to others who might search for something similar.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Correct!

You can safely use the VEdirect to USB converter to increase the number of controlled MPPT’s (or other VEdirect devices) to a total of 5(ish) on the colour control.

There are 2 USB ports available on the back of the CCGX. If you need another, you will need to use a powered USB hub.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

To add: see here for max number of mppts that can be added:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

And see the manual for more information on the initial question; it has a long chapter detailing all ways to connect products to the CCGX.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start

0 Likes 0 ·
kane avatar image kane commented ·

Hi Guy,

latest training there is no wiring diagrams for the use of a BMV 700 shunt for use of BYD

I have 2 mppt 250/60 solar chargers, multi plus 5000, and Byd cabinet with 2 batteries with colour control all mounted together. I also have a high power usb wifi adaptor for colour control and a basic usb hub not powered but only 4 ve direct cables with no, usb .

how can I connect ve connect cables to charges, bmv and colour controller.

Can this work with out with out a usb hub or

should I connect usb hub supply from from colour controller to connect my three items

by ve direct from usb.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jean-Christophe avatar image Jean-Christophe kane commented ·

Dear Kane,

We have the same problem for many months now... 4 diiferent installations with DC coupling and still the same problem. We have try 5 different USB Hub powered and auto-powered but the MPPT still disconnect after a moment.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jean-Christophe avatar image Jean-Christophe Jean-Christophe commented ·

We used to have MPPT by Ve Direct conection and the others by VeDirect to USB interface but we tried to connect all of them on the same Hub USB. Still doesn't work.We also tried to use 4 VeDirect to USB interface, then USB to RJ45, then RJ45 HUB/switch, then RJ45-USB interface to connect the 4 MPPT to the colour control but work only for few minutes then disconnect. Sometimes it works up to the sunset sometimes only few minutes...

0 Likes 0 ·
akram-abdulbaset avatar image akram-abdulbaset commented ·

Thats mean .. we can connect 10 mppts smart solar MPPTs 150/85 tr .. with CCGX by using USB hub??

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ akram-abdulbaset commented ·

No, there is a total maximum of 5 VE.direct devices that can be connected to the CCGX, even if you if you use a hub. If you want to connect more devices, you can use the Cerbo GX, or the VE.Can MPPTs.

For more info you can see the Max VE.Direct devices of this GX devices features table.

0 Likes 0 ·
samin8r avatar image
samin8r answered ·

This was happening a lot on my personal install. Make sure you have the latest version of firmware loaded on the MPPT's as this was a known bug that was fixed.

samin8r
2 |3000

samin8r avatar image
samin8r answered ·

I have also an industrial USB hub (powered) running 5x MPPT's and this has worked fine for the last six months through a CCGX.

I noticed Victron have released a new unit cable of running x10 MPPT's.

1 comment
2 |3000

graeme avatar image graeme commented ·

Hi you mentioned that you have powered Hub that is working well, can you please advise brand and model

0 Likes 0 ·
obediah-mcmajor avatar image
obediah-mcmajor answered ·

This very helpful. Thank you guys.

Another question though; so I have to connect 2 MPPT controllers to my CCGX. How do I do that, since the CCGX has only 2 VE.Direct ports? I have 2 MultiPlus, and a BMV-702 to connect to the CCGX as well.

Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·