question

bora avatar image
bora asked

Venus GX - MPPT, BMV 712, NMEA

I will be installing a Victron MPPT to control my solar charging and i'd like to be able to see this information remotely.

I currently have a BMV-712 connected to my NMEA network with a VE.Direct-NMEA connection.

If I connect the MPPT to a Venus GX with a VE.Direct cable and then connect the Venus GX to the NMEA network with a VE.Can-NMEA cable, will the Venus GX "see" the BMV-712 that is on the NMEA network?

Can the Venus GX transmit any other information that is available on the NMEA network to the VRM (wind, speed, depth etc.)?

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery MonitorVenus GX - VGXVE.CanNMEA 2000 - N2K
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Michael Riley avatar image
Michael Riley answered ·

There are several pages of 'NMEA' documents on the Victron suite. Search 'NMEA'. The NMEA 2000 & MFD integration guide indicates that you can connect a VenusOS devices & Inverter/chargers (and BMV) using the interface you with some limitations . See para 1. screen shot below.

Note that I did not go this way yet as I do not always have my NMEA bus on (i.e. at anchor or in a marina) and it has lots of traffic on it already. Further my MFD's are up on the helm and I do not want MFD's powered 24/7 but I do want the 'Power' monitoring system on. I will follow this link with interest so would appreciate it if you let us know how it goes including any 'issues' on the way. Best of luck.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bora avatar image
bora answered ·

I received this response from one of the Victron service team.

"With the BMV connect to the NMEA network via VE.Direct, the MPPT connected to the Venus GX by VE.Direct and the Venus GX Connected to the NMEA network with VE.Can/NMEA will all this information show up if I log in to the VRM?

[JB] Not at this moment as the VenusGX doesn’t allow incoming signals towards VRM/Device list. But we are working on it to have this anabled and should be there in a matter of months

Would any other NMEA information be available via the Venus GX when viewing from the VRM? Or would it just be Victron equipment that is visible to the Venus GX from the NMEA network?

[JB] Only directly connected device will be forwarded to VRM portal."

2 |3000

bora avatar image
bora answered ·

I've ordered the MPPT, VenusGX, 2x VE.Direct cables and a VE.Can-NMEA cable.

This should allow me to connect the MPPT and BMV-712 to the VenusGX and then i'll connec the VGX to my NMEA network with the VE.Can cable.

That will give me the BMV and MPPT on the VRM for monitoring remotely and still enable me to get the battery data over my NMEA on the chart plotters.

Will update when it's all installed and running.

2 |3000

bora avatar image
bora answered ·

Ok...so I now have the BMV-712 and MPPT connected to the Venus GX and all information is flowing well. I can remote in via VRM and see what's happening onboard my boat.

The item i'm having trouble with is getting the battery information to the NMEA network. The Venus GX is showing tank information from my NMEA network on the VRM but I can't get battery data to the NMEA so I can view it on my MFD's.

2 |3000

christian-melkeraaen avatar image
christian-melkeraaen answered ·

Hi Bora!

This is what the info says about VE-direct to NMEA- interface

Limitations:
• the cable does not work with other VE.Direct products, such as Solar Chargers, Inverters and also not with the BMV-712 Smart.

ve-direct-to-nmea2000-interface

Best regards Christian

2 |3000

bora avatar image
bora answered ·

Ok, so it turns out the VenusGX can't feed data to the NMEA network via the VE.Can.

However I have reconnected my BMV-712 to the VE.Direct to NMEA connection, this now allows me to see the battery data on my MFD's AND it still shows up via the VenusGX, the only difference appears to be that the VenusGX just recognises it as a "battery monitor" rather than specifically as a BMV-712.

2 |3000