question

99sport avatar image
99sport asked

Fusing of low-power Victron components (VE.Bus BMS & BMV712)

Does anyone know what fuse to use in the power line for the VE.Bus BMS? The instructions show it in the diagram (attached) but I cannot find any mention of the type of fuse to use. (For comparison, the Color Control GCGX states in the manual to use a 1amp slow-blow fuse).

Also, what fuse should be used in the power line to the shunt shipped with the BMV712?

Thanks

BMV Battery MonitorBMSinstallation
1555695699156.png (130.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

I don't think its particularly critical as far as the BMS is concerned.

Since the manual said nothing, go with the standard approach of sizing the fuse according to the wire gauge.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

I'm late to this question, but @99sport, the BMV shunt PCB power supply fuse is a 100mA quick-blow; the BMS fuse is the 1A slow-blow.

2 comments
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

If your BMV has a 100mA fuse in it then you should swap it for a 1A fuse.
The 100mA fuse presents too much Voltage drop and will cause the Voltage readings to be inaccurate.
Newer BMV's will ship with a 1A fuse.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Oh man, good to know! Thanks @WKirby; I know a number of our BMVs have had the 100mA fuses in them, but I haven't checked a recent version. Will take under advisement!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources