question

oliver avatar image
oliver asked

Problem connecting Digital Multi Control to Multi 12/3000/230

I'm trying to add a DMC to an existing working system but when I connect the RJ45 cable leading to the remote panel the system shuts down. If I unplug the cable the system returns to life. Toggling the switch on the remote has no effect.

I've tried removing the short (small cable) that is connecting the left and middle points of the manual switch but that results in the system shutting down completely, remote or no remote.

The main switch on the Multiplus is set to 'on' as per the manual.

I'm using Cat 6 cable with 2 x RJ45 connectors.

Am I missing something?

Thanks, Oliver

Digital Multi Control
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Ensure you are using unshielded UTP RJ45 cable.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Nickus de Vos avatar image
Nickus de Vos answered ·

Not at all a expert, just thinking out loud here.

Does your Multi have the latest firmware and have you tried a different UTP cable?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

oliver avatar image oliver commented ·

The unit is only about a year old so I presume the firmware wouldn't be the issue? In the event it might be, how can I check what version it has?

0 Likes 0 ·
BigniceJohn avatar image BigniceJohn oliver commented ·

I had to make sure the main system was setup and running, power it down, plug in the new remote the it turned on after a few second of holding the configure button on the back of the new remote panel.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

You probably know most of this, but for it to function there must be a wire link in the external switch terminal block - between the left & center terminal. After the DMC is connected the 'basic' external switch can no longer be used.

Try to connect the DMC while the main switch on the Multi is off, then turn the main switch on & see if it lights up/works after turning on the DMC switch.

If you have no luck try to totally disconnect DC power to the Multi for a least 5 min and then re-connect DC power & give it another go.

If still no good I think you have a faulty UTP cable. Just try another UTP cable.

PS. I actually had a grain of sand stuck in one of the contacts of the RJ45 plug in my UTP cable at one stage & it was giving me similar trouble to what your reporting (drove me crazy for about 30 min). After trying another cable it worked & then I found the issue in the first cable.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic