question

don1cobb avatar image
don1cobb asked

Smart Solar Mppt 250/70 custom battery using 2 stage

With the Smart Solar MPPT 250/70 I want to setup a custom battery configuration that uses 2 stage (no float). Is that possible?

MPPT Controllers
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ commented ·

So what do you actually want to happen when the charger goes into float? Do you want it to turn off/stop charging?

0 Likes 0 ·
don1cobb avatar image don1cobb Mark ♦♦ commented ·

I want it to not charge in float mode. I am using Lithium batteries and they don't need or like a float charge.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It is possible to set the Float Voltage to be the same as the Absorb Voltage which would make the Absorb stage and Float stage one single stage, but it will keep charging for ages.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

You'll have to provide more info:

-what kind of lithium batteries (and what BMS)

-what kind of system (ESS, off grid, backup, DC users, inverters, etc)

Usually it's easy: set the float voltage at a level below charged voltage, but depending on your system this might or might not be the right solution.

2 comments
2 |3000

don1cobb avatar image don1cobb commented ·

I am using 2 Tesla batteries in series for 48 volts. It is a backup system for now, but I will be adding solar in the future. That is why I am interested in the MPPT charge controller. The BMS is a small meter for balancing and the BMV 712 and battery protect for other protection.

If the float voltage is set lower than the absorption does that eliminate the float charge?

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes 0 ·
khachatur avatar image khachatur don1cobb commented ·
Hi,

Were you able to configure the charge controller to disable the float charge?
I have a custom made 12s Li-ion NCA battery and I am looking at using Victron products to charge it with solar.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

To basically achieve the same effect as disabling the charger once in float stage you could simply set the float voltage to the lowest voltage allowed (should be 36v for a 48v system).

Just please also note that if you do this then the 're-bulk' voltage will automatically also drop - so if the batteries become depleted any time after the initial charge cycle, another charge cycle will NOT start again until the next day.

This is not ideal and I don't think that others running lithium totally disable float phase.

In saying that, the upcoming MPPT firmware release should allow the user to independently specify the re-bulk voltage. As long as there is no constraint that the re-bulk voltage specified must be under the float voltage, then this may work well for you.

I would just set float voltage a little lower than the battery resting voltage post charge. That way if the voltage drops to that level, the MPPT will start charging again and maintain the float voltage.

2 |3000