question

Toli Kanaris avatar image
Toli Kanaris asked

VictronMultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-50 Generator to Charge the Battery

I have a Victron MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-50 5kva system , I want to put a silent inverter generator as backup. What type of Generator do I need to get to charge the battery Lithium Ion 3.5KWh Pylon US3000 in extended period of power outage. What is approved to use on this system

battery chargingGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

There are really no approved generators that I know of,

so a good quality unit is what I would suggest or test and make sure it works befor you buy if you can.

To cover ease of use I would suggest a 5 to 7 Kw generator as this can charge the batteries and also run the loads as well

This is presuming that the Inverter is size correctly for the loads that its needed to run in a blackout.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

albert-vd-westhuizen avatar image
albert-vd-westhuizen answered ·

Generator at least same power output as inverter - use continuous rating (not max or standby) and remember to de-rate for altitude - check generator specifications for de-rating as varies.

Pity not Quattro as connecting to 2nd AC-in would have been nice with auto start.... If want to do auto start with Multi and external auto changeover will have to keep in mind that Multi will not know if grid or generator and generator will have to be sized for max current draw. Even if not auto start/switchover, will have to manage loads combined with charging current so as not overload generator. AC-in current can be limited using VE.Config but tedious as will need to be done every time switch between generator & grid takes place.

Also see webinar with Margreet Leeftink - Using Generators with Victron and also check https://www.victronenergy.com/live/start?do=search&id=start&sf=1&q=generator

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic