question

eliott avatar image
eliott asked

How to troubleshoot Quattro not charging -showing Failure on CCGX

Hi! I have a Quattro 48-5000/70 newest 400 range fimware with LFP smart batteries. Quite often the charger stops charging, gives Fault indication and for some time doesn't restart.

The inverting part is ok. When plugging in, the mains lights up, and immediately when starting bulk it turns off. On the CCGX I see Fault but nothing else, no alarm no BMS error. The strange thing is that when plugged in it gives a very low chirping noise.

After a number of restarts or woodoo magic, it starts working again for a while

Any suggestions?

thanks

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
eliott avatar image
eliott answered ·

UPDATE: I think it is related to then fact that the AC was interrupted and plugged in again. Any ideas?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eliott avatar image eliott commented ·

Solution: This is for future reference for anybody who sees similar behavior. After tearing my hair out over this, I started checking all the connections.

It turned out that the shore power L1 input was just a little loose so that when either the Quattro was wanted to use more than 12-14 Amps or just the connections have moved, it stopped with a Failure status.

It is sad that there is no more detailed error log in the CCGX when something like this happens.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ eliott commented ·

ouch that's not good. Thankfully the Quattro detected an error.

Also the reason to always check wiring first (and why we ask for pictures of the wiring)

I always check with a thermal camera to look for things heating up under load, just a cheap 'Seek thermal' that connects to my phone. works perfectly.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

There maybe more to this than a one off answer and many variables as well, so with what you have supplied < dought anyone can answer the question

ie, have the Lipo smart batteries been connected through a BMS unit thats then connected to the quattro , as the bms could be turning the charging off due to a battery fault or overcharge condition.

could you please supply more information as to how everything is connected. and what else is installed

a full wiring diagram would help

2 comments
2 |3000

eliott avatar image eliott commented ·

Hi!

Yes there is a BMS in the system, but if it was BMS related it - i think - show up on the CCGX. Also, I checked the light on the BMS and they were blue not red.

I can't do a drawing from here, but it is a marine setup, with a DC load (now off) 4 LFP 24v Batteries in 2*2 config, all the fuses and UTP cables are Victron.

The main compoents:

- Quattro

- BMS

- 4 lfp 24v smart

- ccgx

- multicontrol

- bmv700

I have seen this before with the quattro, after that I upgraded to the newest firmware: 2658433

All the alarms on the CCGX are ok, status is Fault

What else info do you need? It is really hard to know where to look if the only feedback is fault

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B eliott commented ·

Have you turned the VRM on and check all the graphs and info there to see if you can see the issue. As you should be able to isolate the time the fault occured in all the graphs etc

and you know that you can remotely configure the multi as well through the VRM

you cant update the firmware, but everything else is possible

0 Likes 0 ·