question

kiko avatar image
kiko asked

Expedition vehicle setup questions

Hi,
I am planning to build an expedition vehilce powerded by Victron components. The truck is a 1988 Mercedes Benz NG 1428 AF with a 24V/140A alternator.

I have already ordered the following components:
- 2 x LiFePO4 battery 25,6V/200Ah Smart
- 3 x Victron Energy Solar Module 360W-24V Mono 1956x992x45 mm, series 4a
- SmartSolar MPPT 100/50
- MultiPlus 24/5000/120-100
- VE.Bus BMS
- Smart BatteryProtect 12/24V-220A (for the DC consumer side)
- BMV 712 Smart Batterie-Monitor
- Interface MK3-USB (VE.Bus to USB)
- VE.Bus Smart dongle

Obviously, I want to charge my battries by 230V AC using the MultiPlus, using solar and using the vehicle alternator.

Now the following questions arised:
1. Should I use a B2B Charger like the Buck Boost or is it sufficient to use a Cyrix-Li-ct in my setup (no EURO 5/6)? Do I need a BatteryProtect on the charge side? Which sizes of the components are best?
2. Can I use the MultiPlus to charge my starter battries? How?
3. Is it recommended to use an 24V/24V Orion for normal DC comsumers like LED lighting and a Waeco fridge or can they be connected directly? Should i use an isulated or un-insulated version of an Orion in case needed?
4. I have some 12V DC consumers like a roof fan. Should i use an isulated or un-insulated version of an Orion to power them?
5. What's the advantage of using a Lynx Distributor vs. a normal Blue Sea distributor?

Thank's so much for your help in advance!!!

Lithium BatteryOrion DC-DC Converters not smartCyrix Battery Combiner
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Holy Expedition Batman. You're not mucking about. Some comments, which I hope can be added to/disputed/discussed..

1. The Buck Boost is a specialty item for modern alternators. Unlikely needed, and the Cyrix would likely do. Size dependent on your needs.. yeh, noncommittal on size.

2. An AC source, genny or grid.

3. Should be ok directly.

4. Your choice. I picked isolated in my marine setup.. no special reason - cos I could.

5. Victron blue looks better? Pick for features, what you want.

*** Your shopping list is missing a serious something - a GX box (varieties of). To bring everything together, portal access for the full monitoring/control monty. Addons like GPS when your expedition gets lost. (cheaper than a buck-boost where I live). Wouldn't leave home without one - to see home from anywhere in the world.. :)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kiko avatar image kiko commented ·

Thanks a lot for the advice! I really appreciate!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Product page Cyrix Battery Combiner

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron DC-DC converters product page