question

laurent avatar image
laurent asked

Venus GX : activate relay according Voltage trigger

Hi,

On a venus GX , Is there a way to change relay state according MPPT or battery voltage ?

If possible, how to proceed ?

Regards,

Venus GX - VGXvoltageRelay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

You can use lots of settings. battery voltage is one.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michael Riley avatar image
Michael Riley answered ·

@Boekel

Great answer - I cannot see this on mine - can you give me a 'tree' for the proceeding menu screens up to the top one. Thanks

3 comments
2 |3000

Michael Riley avatar image Michael Riley commented ·

Found it under the 'Generator Start/Stop' function for Relay. Is there any way to 'reverse' the logic - i.e. to use the Battery Voltage but turn ON the relay when the condition is HI and turn off when LO (i.e. to heat water - via a mains relay).

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Michael Riley commented ·

You've got a Venus GX, so you have NC and NO contacts, and can use one or the other to reverse logic.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Riley avatar image Michael Riley boekel ♦ commented ·

@Boekel. Thanks for the response. I clearly will need to do a bit more reading to understand how to 'get' to that physical connection and the logical configuration. Given that this is now moving away from the topic of this post will start a new one and alert you as I will likely need to 'overview' understanding on the approach.

0 Likes 0 ·
laurent avatar image
laurent answered ·

Thank you for your answer.

I found this : https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:generator_start_stop

Will test the proccess on site this weekend.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Laurent, Did you ever get this to work. See Daniel's response below which is still addressing the physical world (ie. wiring and relays). I am trying to get a 'trigger' (on) when voltage is high (i.e. battery bank is charged to say above 27.2 V for 28 LiPo eg.) and to get it to 'trigger' off (remove trigger) when voltage drops below a threshold. This is the opposite of the logic for the generator which comes on when low and off when high. Cheers Mike.

0 Likes 0 ·
laurent avatar image
laurent answered ·

Hi,

On site I plugged a led + resistor under 12V on Relay 1, I'm able to turn it on/off only by using generator manual start/stop from the main menu. However, no success using battery voltage, relay 1 do not change state while condition under setting are setup to battery voltage, under 24V the Relay should Switch but not. Any ideas ?

2 |3000

Michael Riley avatar image
Michael Riley answered ·

@Boekel

I have been 'away' sailing in the Sth Pacific for the last seven months and am now looking to 'resolve' this relay issue to use for heating water (Energy dump).

I have reviewed the latest manual version and nothing appears to have changed in this regard over the last six months (i.e. since Jan 2019). If this is correct I still come up against the 'wall' of how to have the logic domain (VenusGX-Relay using Gen/Start stop) moving high (+ve) when the following 'voltage' condition is met.

To be specific. When the Victron Lithium battery bank voltage as read by the battery monitor (Lynx in my case) is higher than say, 27.1 V (25-28.4 I guess) then I want the relay ON. When the voltage drops to below, say 26.3 VDC, then I want the relay to go open (off) and hence stop heating the water.

There is no apparent, to me, logic for this as it is the 'opposite' logic to when you want a generator to start and stop.

If I understand your comment above I can 'reverse' the physical world (i.e. relay hi/low reversed to lo/hi using other means but it is the 'logical' trigger which is missing and the variable parameter associated with this (i.e. the threshold voltage in my case).

Are you able to provide me with the 'dummies' guide so that I can see where I have not been able to get my grey matter focussed?

3 comments
2 |3000

Further to my last - for completeness this relay output goes to a 240VAC relay which handles the actual supply switching. I can use the 'manual' on/off to achieve what I want but this is chunky given that when we are off the boat or not monitoring closely then I want the automatic sensing to achieve this.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Michael Riley commented ·

Hi @Michael Riley

To invert the outcome, just use the 'normally closed' side of the relay output

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Riley avatar image Michael Riley Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply. Your answer appears to be answering the real (physical) world and am happy with the wiring and relays. What I am trying to get to is the 'logical' world. That is to say I want to have the logic trigger 'on' when the read voltage is High and to turn off when the voltage is low. This is the exact opposite of the generator start/stop logic which triggers when low and off when fully charged. Have you had any success with in this respect?

Thanks Mike

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic