question

tamirlance avatar image
tamirlance asked

SmartSolar MPPT 75/10 without battery

Is it possible to use the SmartSolar MPPTs without a battery? I want to use the MPPT to keep the panel at the max power point and use the logging features of the unit but I'm dumping all the power into a power resistor. I don't want the charge or health of the battery to interfere with whether or not the MPPT is working or not.

MPPT Controllersbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

No these devices are not designed for load diversion and cannot be configured as such.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

moz avatar image
moz answered ·

I'd like to know too, since I'd like to dump excess power into a hot water heater once the batteries are full.

2 |3000

porcini avatar image
porcini answered ·

That definitively doesn't work. The actual MPPT-Controllers are battery-powered. They won't even turn on.
Further you can't hold a solar panel at its MPP when a resistor is the load. The resistor defines the operating point.

1 comment
2 |3000

joeoffgrid avatar image joeoffgrid commented ·

I noticed my mppts keep on w/o battery

0 Likes 0 ·