question

Pedro Lima avatar image
Pedro Lima asked

Fronius zero feed-in

Hi there,

Just installed an ESS system with a Multigrid II 3000, and a Fronius Primo 5.0 (on AC-in) (I know the 1-1 rule, but's running on the AC-in, so no problem).

Fronius is communicating with the ColorControl, everything looks fine. Enabled "Fronius zero feed-in", but the "Fronius zero-feed in active" remains "NO". It only works if installed on the AC-Out?

Any clue?

Thanks!

Pedro

ESSFronius
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Keith Arnold avatar image Keith Arnold commented ·

I have same problem. On CCGX feed in excess solar is off, fronius zero feed in is on, but active is also no, (I assumed that this might change when conditions of limiting the fronius becomes active?)

Seen feed in up to -600 W. Mean time battery needs plenty of charging and current far from the 40 amp limit I have set.

Is the changing conditions faster than the controller adjusting?

0 Likes 0 ·
Keith Arnold avatar image Keith Arnold commented ·

Today was a nice sunny day as always. so i wanted to check on ccgx how charging is going. was a poultry 829 W and the Primo was at a limit of 3.69 kW. load was up so i switched some off to see what would happen.

first, the limit on fronius went to 2.286 kW and charging stopped, went to Idle.

Next, i switched zero feed-in off. immediately comms was lost with the primo but it reverted to full power, charge went up to 1.3 kW. i left it in this state and went out for breakfast.

When i returned the SOC was 100%, still accepting charge, voltage was just above 50. My battery has not been 100 for a month! Primo was back on screen. So i have left zero feed-in = off until Victron can give some proper explanations! or get the control priorities right.

observation 2. when i got my zero feed-in status to be yes, my network troubles started. Now since I switched zero Feed-in off my network has not fallen over. Once the Fronius was found again, it has not left the ccgx, to my knowledge. So either my Router (Tichnicolor 588) does not like Modbus TCP, or Sunspec int +sf, or these things mess with the internet and local connectivity.

Observation 3. Victron explanation of how the power limit works make no sense! when comms to Fronius is down there is no limit! They say they change the frequency. This is Impossible. The input is directly connected to the output 1 and 2. The inverter synchronizes on the grid frequency and the fronius synchronizes on the same, else there would be lots of smoke and loud bangs. Only if the grid is off and the inverter is supplying the load can it dictate the frequency. Therefore, they do the power control in some other way and it would depend on the network staying connected. Or they do power line communication, which is not the case, to my knowledge. So how exactly does it happen? Why limit the pv power for zeroi feed-in at the expense of charging the batteries?

On the ccgx, devices, fronius, there is a value of the limit. in my case 4000 is no limit, any other number is a limit. when comms is lost all this disappears off the screen. power is restored to full.

Sure i am not the only one with this issue?

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
basreflex avatar image
basreflex answered ·

buy a fronius 1phase smart meter and connect that to the fronius to do zero feedin that way.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

masi avatar image
masi answered ·

That means they are not "talking", did you set up the Fronius according the ESS manual? It should work AC In or AC Out.

2 |3000

masi avatar image
masi answered ·

It should work if you seted up the Fronius correct and activated the modbus TCP in ESS remote console

2 |3000

Keith Arnold avatar image
Keith Arnold answered ·

I was able to sort mine out today, active now says “yes”

In the document on fronius settings the setting must be correct.

Firmware up to date

Fronius set up menu set data export via modbus to tcp
Set sunspec model type to int + sf
In settings DNO Editor dynamic power no limit

All these I went onto explorer and type in the fronius is address. Will ask for your admin password and for the last one I think the service password.

Once I had these set it state showed active yes.

2 |3000

ishaaq avatar image
ishaaq answered ·

hi, i am new to this forum, ad was looking for some advice, i am looking to expand on my current installation,

EasySolar-II 48/3000/35-32 MPPT 250/70 GX

2 x Pylontech US3000C batteries

i am findind it small and want to expand, one of the options was to add a Fronius Primo, i was looking for a little more information on installing Fronius Primo with Victron

3 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
ishaaq avatar image ishaaq commented ·

Thanks Alexandra, in your opinion would you suggest expanding with Fronius or expanding by paralleling a Multiplus with my current setup.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ ishaaq commented ·
It depends on what you want. If it is more peak power then get a bigger multiplus. Parellel setups can be tricky. You would have to get more battery in eother scenario.

If you are wanting to make use of more solar power you can go the fronius route.

You have to follow the 1:1 if you have the fronius after the victron. So 3kva again. But you can go bigger before the victron. The fronius is the cheaper soltution in terms of equipment i suppose.

S o at the end of the day talk to your distributor about the aims of your setup they are really the best guys to deal with.

0 Likes 0 ·