question

dr-bob avatar image
dr-bob asked

Alarm buzzer on BMV 712 smart

My BMV 712 smart is set to alarm on high voltage via the battery settings on the unit. On high voltage however, the display flashes and the alarm symbol shows but there is no noise. The buzzer is set to 'On' via battery setting 32. How do I make it so the buzzer sounds?

BMV Battery Monitor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sabresix avatar image sabresix commented ·

I have exactly the same problem on a new unit fitted last December. Register 32 is set OK.

Display flashes alarm but buzzer does not sound even if it is a 8kHz tone which I would have heard. Is this a common manufacturing problem I wonder.

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Dr Bob and others, thank you for raising this. I confirm that this is a bug. The frequency should be 4kHz (or there about), not 8kHz. We are currently working on a fix.

Affected product is the BMV-712.

I expect a fix within several weeks: it will be a new firmware version for the BMV-712; updatable using VictronConnect as well as with the Remote Firmware update feature.

My apologies for the long delay, I see you asked the question already back in March; somehow it was overlooked; I noticed this thread when @BenL raised it again.

UPDATE 2019-09-21: firmware with fix released. v4.03, see below.

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

(I've accepted my own answer to make sure it shows on top)

0 Likes 0 ·
sabresix avatar image sabresix commented ·

This is excellent news, look forward to the firmware update. Whilst you have the firmware open for mods, here's another suggestion. Option No 63 "Clear History" - it would be great to have this available on the iPad App, at the moment you have to go to the display module and step through - I find it a feature I use quite often, thanks. DS

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ sabresix commented ·

Hi DS: yes... I understand. But not everybody wants that feature so prominently available, thats why its not in the App. For now we'll just fix this issue asap, and don't delay or risk delaying by doing more. have a good day, Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi all, we released v4.03 just now. You can download it from Victron Professional for now, and install it manually. As well as use the VRM Remote Firmware update feature.

Rather than downoading it from Victron Professional you can also just wait a while (weeks, maybe a month) for the next VictronConnect release; then it will be included and updating will be much easier.

0 Likes 0 ·
Robert Leonard avatar image Robert Leonard mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Awesome! Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
Steve avatar image Steve commented ·

Performed the update. Product Info shows Rev 4.03 and still no audible alarm. Very frustrated.

0 Likes 0 ·

For some reason v4.03 upgrade failed to activate audible alarm. If the display shows a visual alarm does that mean the BMV712 has proper communication with the shunt circuit board. I'm trying to find out what the problem is with my BMV712. This is a new device, installed in August 2019.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I would connect to the BMV 712 by using the victron connect app, and select settings and under alarm , mack sure that alarm buzzer is ON.

Its much easyer to use the app to change the settings in my opinion

2 |3000

dr-bob avatar image
dr-bob answered ·

Thanks Paul.

I have tried setting buzzer ON by both the meter and via bluetooth on the connected phone. I have turned it OFF and ON. I have not tried connecting the meter to my Macbook but could try that.

Interestingly, this problem turned up on a new BMV 712 smart I bought last week, but the problem also exists on my 1 year old BMV 712 smart that I have for a separate battery system. On both units, the alarm system - and the relay systems - work fine, except there is no noise.

2 comments
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

I tried this last week as I showed a customer how it worked and it was fine

I set the alarm high voltage to 12 volts to test and the buzzer sounded just fine.

JUST in case:- you dont set the relay value, its the alarm value that needs to be set and has nothing to do with the relay setting

if the buzzer is not working then take it back for a warranty replacement

0 Likes 0 ·
dr-bob avatar image dr-bob commented ·

Thanks Paul. I have the high voltage alarm set to sound at 13.8v and the high voltage relay to disconnect a lithium bank at 13.9V.

It seems too much of a coincidence that neither of my two BMV's are not sounding the alarm yet they do flash the alarm and the relays do work as the voltage rises further.

Looks like it may mean a replacement but just want to see if there is another setting I am missing.

0 Likes 0 ·
Robert Leonard avatar image
Robert Leonard answered ·

I cannot hear the alarm either and I thought mine was broken too...except that my family asked me to stop the high pitched beeping. I downloaded a frequency analyzer and sure enough BMV was beeping at 8khz. Victron SURELY you can program the sound output to a more age friendly range?

3 comments
2 |3000

Same problem here. Has Victron Energy responded to you about their reasoning for using a high frequency? I went through 3 different monitors without hearing a sound. Wasn't until I read your response that I tested my hearing only to find 8K just disappears. I've written VE about this issue and was wondering if you'd heard any justification to the 8K audible alarm. Sure glad they don't make fire alarms!

0 Likes 0 ·
Robert Leonard avatar image Robert Leonard Steve commented ·

No dot sure they even read this. Posted it as a mod suggestion, we’ll see where that goes.

0 Likes 0 ·
Steve avatar image Steve Robert Leonard commented ·

Unable to hear the high frequency alarm of the BMV-712.

This is my work around using the relay and a LED "C" Class push botton. It disables the piezo sounder when lit. It doesn't reset or clear the relay condition, just silences the active alarm (piezo sounder). Resisters were used to attenuate the piezo sounder and the LED intensity. All parts were purchased on Amazon.

0 Likes 0 ·
benl avatar image
benl answered ·

Just throwing my vote in here as well: Victron, an 8kHz tone for an alarm is a terrible design choice. It's great for a 20 year old with good hearing, but terrible for anyone substantially older, let alone someone with poorer than average hearing.

e.g. http://www.psych.usyd.edu.au/staff/alexh/teaching/auditoryTute_2014/

1567830344198.png (105.9 KiB)
2 |3000