question

Jörg Ellrich avatar image
Jörg Ellrich asked

"Battery Voltage to High" from Pylontech Batterie on CCGX

Hello to all,

this is the first time that i use pylontech batteries.

I build a system from 5 US2000 Plus Batteries, a MultiPlus 48/5000/70 and a Color Control.

There are two things that i don`t understand and i hope you can help me.

I charge the battery with the recommended absorption voltage from 53,2V. I get from the battery the warning "Voltage to high". I reduce this voltage step by strep from 53,2 V to last test of 51,8 V. But i get in every absorption phase the warning "Voltage to high". The datasheet from pylontech shows a value from max 53,5V.

Because of this error message i write to Pylontech, but i get no answer.

The other thing is a little funny.

When the battery is discharge and i start to load the battery, the load voltage and current are like the bulk phase but the MultiPlus shows at the LED float. I switch the Multi off and on again, the charge starts with the same voltage and current but the LED shows bulk.

Did you have any idea whats is the cause and i can do?

When you need more information to help, i can give.

Many thanks in advance.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerCCGX Color ControlPylontech
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

What else do you have in the system?

ESS yes/no

DVCC enabled?

What provides the overvoltage error? BMS?

Did you read this?
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jörg Ellrich answered ·

Thank you for the fast reply.

I don`t use anything else in the system, only the batteries the MultiPlus and the Color Control.

No ESS and DVCC.

The over voltage comes from the BMS.

In the color control are the warning and alarm with the same time stamp:

Pylontech battery Warning Voltage high 51,79V

and in the VRM Portal are the Message:

Battery Monitor [512]: Automatic monitoring Alarm: High voltage alarm

I read this before i make the settings, but I did not find anything that helped me with the error.

1 comment
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Read this part, you need DVCC otherwise the BMS cannot controll the system, you might void your warranty without DVCC enabled.

5. Venus-device Settings

0 Likes 0 ·
Jörg Ellrich answered ·

Thank you for your tip and apologize for the late reaction. I have not been in the company for the last few days.

I enabled dvcc and tested it. There was no alarm anymore over high voltage from the battery and when switching from unloading to loading, the multi switch directly into the bulk phase.

Since dvcc is activated, no float phase has occurred anymore. Is that synonymous with it?

1 comment
2 |3000

Pat Davitt avatar image Pat Davitt commented ·

"Since dvcc is activated, no float phase has occurred anymore. Is that synonymous with it?"

Yes. When you are using a Victron compatible CanBus BMS with DVCC enabled, which you are, there is no "Float" charging state.

The Multiplus will indicate "Bulk" when you are in Current Control Mode and "Absorb" when you are in Voltage Control Mode. These modes are set by the BMS. The Current Control Mode is when the charge voltage will be allowed to increase until the Max charge voltage is reached, and the allowed charging current is set to the maximum charge current setting. The Voltage Control Mode is when the voltage remains constant at the Max charge voltage and the charging current will decrease until it reaches zero. It will remain in that state until the BMS switches the system back to the Current Control Mode.

Pat

0 Likes 0 ·
Jörg Ellrich answered ·

I have started to work again on the system in the last few days. The system works without errors, except for the error message from the battery voltage too high. This can i seen at the CCGX and also in the VRM Portal.

I have read the manual and hope that I have implemented everything correctly. The components have the current firmware.

The system is configured with:

ESS: On

DVCC: On

SVS: Off

VRM Portal ID: 9c1d58e73612

I read in the forum posts that this problem occurs more often, but there is no real solution because the batteries request the charging voltage. Is this correct?

Do you have another idea?

Is it possible to disable the error message only for the CCGX?

We bought the batteries directly from pylontech and there I also asked several times for support, but unfortunately received no answer.

Thank you for your support in advance.

img-6843.jpg (3.9 MiB)
img-1052-1.jpg (152.3 KiB)
8 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Jörg Ellrich

A high voltage error at 52 volt is an indication of a battery out of balance. I would try keeping it charged for a while, so it can balance itself.

Your battery asks for 53,2 volts, and charge current limit doesn't go to 0 (but to 40A), so the Victron system doesn't know it has to stop charging.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jörg Ellrich avatar image Jörg Ellrich Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

Thanks for your quick answer.

Is this charging behavior in the constant voltage phase a cause of the imbalance?

Can i see this anywhere and is there any other way to balance the battery?

My last question for this night.

Is it possible to disable the error message for the CCGX?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Jörg Ellrich commented ·

You'll have to ask the battery manufacturer, but if the battery wasn't used for a long time, this could be the reason, and after balancing things might be alright.

You can disable the audible alarm, and disable in VRM, but it will come up on the screen.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jörg Ellrich avatar image Jörg Ellrich Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I downloaded the software batteryview from pylontech from a photovoltaic forum.

With the software I got access to the batteries and saw the largest cell difference within a battery at 29mV when it was 100% full. During unloadig was the largest cell difference at a capacity from 75% 6mV. The software shows me also the the 5 batterys has a cycle from 15.

I write again to pylontech in the hope that I get an answer.

I thank you again for the help and support.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Jörg Ellrich commented ·

Hi @Jörg Ellrich

I'd wait for a couple of days and see if things get better (no more alarms).

0 Likes 0 ·
Jörg Ellrich avatar image Jörg Ellrich Jörg Ellrich commented ·

In order to find out which battery has the problems I have now for interest each battery individually discharged and charged. The batteries were not charged were turned off and disconnected.

There was no error message here.

Then I connected the 5 batteries and discharged and charged. Immediately the error message came again.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Jörg Ellrich

Very strange...can you read-out the batteries when the overvoltage message appears?

0 Likes 0 ·

Today I make a new test and think I found the bad battery.

During the absporption phase the cell voltage from one battery goes up to 3.640V and it comes into the battery software the message Cell Voltage OV.

Some minutes later the cell voltage drops down to 3.587V and the message change to Cell Voltage High. (Pls. see pictures).

Tomorrow I will do a new test with a new battery.

Let's see what happens

0 Likes 0 ·
img-6903.jpg (4.6 MiB)
img-6905.jpg (4.6 MiB)
offgridsystems avatar image
offgridsystems answered ·

Thanks for the input from this thread. I also have this problem on two installations and the customers have been switching off the PV generation when the message comes up. As the voltage indicated is just 51.8v, the voltage is not high at all.

I will ask them to leave the PV switched on to allow the cells to balance. Let us hope it works so I can be paid!. The customer see's this as a fault on the system, which in some ways I suppose it is :)

Chris

4 comments
2 |3000

Hi @offgridsystems

Is there nothing about this in the battery manual??

0 Likes 0 ·
offgridsystems avatar image offgridsystems Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

No, nothing. I have fitted around 70 Pylontech modules over the last few years and never had this issue before. But the last couple of installs using US3000 (3.5kw) modules have given this problem. At the same time, I have fitted some stacks of US2000's and these are no problem.

Maybe I will check all the box labels to see if there may be old stock that has been on the shelf for a while?

1 Like 1 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ offgridsystems commented ·

@offgridsystems

Please ask Pylontech about this, I cannot imagine it is not in the manual that new batteries can need time to balance...

0 Likes 0 ·
offgridsystems avatar image offgridsystems Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

You are right, I could not believe it either. It is definitely not mentioned. You think therefore there is a fault in the batteries?

0 Likes 0 ·
leolotus avatar image
leolotus answered ·

I have seen this behavior many times. I suspect that this error is displayed when a cell has a too high voltage. After a few loads, the error no longer occurred

2 |3000

offgridsystems avatar image
offgridsystems answered ·

Thanks Leolotus. I will ask my customers to run a few loads as well. There is no alarm displayed on any of the battery modules to give a clue which one has the high cell voltage.

I am hoping after using the advice from this thread the systems will resolve themselves.

I've installed many Pylontech Off Grid systems, especially while there is a big BYD shortage, and all but these two recent installations have been perfect.

4 comments
2 |3000

Hi @offgridsystems

Leolotus talked about a few charges, not loading the system.

The batteries balance when fully charged, so if you want to speed up the balancing, keep the batteries 100% charged for a while (a couple of days should be enough)

When you read out the battery you should also be able to see the cell voltages.

0 Likes 0 ·
mbad avatar image mbad Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

@leolotus did the installation for me I guess (from his nickname). We had the same issue here with 7 batteries installed. After roughly a week of discharge / charge cycles the battery overload disappeared. During this week batteries have been multiple times charged to 100% and discharged down to 15%. So I would try this @offgridsystems

0 Likes 0 ·
offgridsystems avatar image offgridsystems mbad commented ·

Thanks very much for the advice @mbad .. Rather than simply keeping the batteries on charge via the PV, we'll cycle the batteries too.

0 Likes 0 ·
offgridsystems avatar image offgridsystems mbad commented ·

Hi All. I can confirm the error's from the Pylontech batteries disapeared after a few days of float charge from the PV.

Thanks for the advice.

0 Likes 0 ·