question

noodleant avatar image
noodleant asked

Venus GX Wi-Fi 'Failure'

Hi

Have read various questions and answers relating to WiFi. Set up my new Venus GX last night, set it up to WiFi network - all worked brilliantly except last connection to Venus at 01h00 this morning when venus disconnected from my WiFi network.

Have had to re-enter WiFi passwords again as Venus did not seem to remember them. Managed to connect briefly for a few minutes, then WiFi failure again. It does not appear that the GX tries to reconnect on it's own again. Only appear to work briefly when I re-enter the password again.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Venus GX - VGXwifi
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

John Rushworth avatar image John Rushworth ♦♦ commented ·

I’ll start by saying what you may not want to hear; Ethernet is naturally the most robust solution and what Victron recommend in the manual. Having said that tested Victron Wi-Fi modules work too. I use both wired and Wi-Fi in my two systems.

As regards losing connection; are you on the beta test program ref:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/11876/venus-os-v23035-available-for-testing.html

Not recommended for mission critical systems but the latest has this feature as you’ll read in the link above:

“* Add network watchdog: automatically reboot the Venus-device in case it has not been able to sent data to VRM for a while. See Settings -> VRM online portal -> Reboot device when no contact”

Whether this helps your apparent loss of password for your normally connected network I cannot say, but the modspace might be able to help on that score.

As for signal strength of your Wi-Fi, naturally that is key along with not having a lot of nearby networks interfering, which I have had on my boat - hence using Ethernet in that situation as so many boats and the marina running Wi-Fi.

If you have other networks of your own possibly interfering you could try changing channels on those. I don’t know what channel Victron uses or if it can be changed.

0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I also have a Venus GX and have found that the venus Wifi has a VERY week signal. (no work around trhat I know of unless you move the GX be next door to the router)

best solution I can suggest is to purchase a cheap wifi extender and plug the Ethernet cable into the Venus GX and then into the wifi extender, connect the extender to the wifi router and problems solved, I have never had a dropout since.

Bonus is that you also get a wifi range extender as well

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michael Riley avatar image
Michael Riley answered ·

We use the Nano Wireless USB WIFI (Victron part BPP900100200) which works well for us on the boat (say up to 15 m away from Venus). Note also that I get a consistent 'drop out and reconnect' on the first time that I try to log back into Venus having turned off my WIFI on laptop. The connection drops at the Venus end and then the search relocates the node and reconnects at which time I can repeat the login. The MacBook Pro remembers the login; the iPad & iPhone do not remember and I need to enter the password fresh each time so I suspect that it is OS-based??

Some good links

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/1295/currently-available-and-cost-efficient-usb-wifi-ad.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/10403/venus-internal-wifi.html

2 |3000

daniel1957 avatar image
daniel1957 answered ·

The venusGX has quite strong WiFi - mine has a range of 10 metres through 2 x reinforced concrete walls.

The problem I have is getting my android phone to re-connect when returning. I then need to forget, re-connect, re-enter the password each time.

It appears that Victron Energy staff need to sort this out and offer a solution as soon as possible.

2 |3000

Ingo avatar image
Ingo answered ·

I came across this discussion and thought I'd add my 2c. Running 2.23 I also have WiFi disconnects very randomly. Sometimes it happens within two days and other times it takes a week or more for it to disconnect. I am using the proper WiFi dongle and on mine is that it just disconnects and then never retries even though two AP's are available. I did send a log to the venus google group a while ago. What fixes it for me is a unplug of the dongle and a reinsert. Obviously it's a pain if you don't have hands on site and it's down for days. LAN is the preferred option but WiFi should be stable when there is no interference and strong signal, it shouldn't disconnect by itself and just give up.

My setup has a USB interface to a CG meter and I have a permanent connection from a Modbus Server to query data at 1s intervals. I notice if WiFi died when my management system has 'frozen' on the last value read from my GX.

Would be nice to know if Big Blue is working on something as I don't have LAN access there (yet).

3 comments
2 |3000

John Rushworth avatar image John Rushworth ♦♦ commented ·

I have two CCGXs. Both tested WiFi dongles. One is stable the other not. I suspect channel interference and/or other WiFi devices. As you say Ethernet best. But below whilst not ideal may help reestablish connection if not on-site.

Ref: Add network watchdog: automatically reboot the Venus-device in case it has not been able to send data to VRM for a while. See Settings -> VRM online portal -> Reboot device when no contact.

See: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/13754/venus-os-v23040-available-for-testing.html

0 Likes 0 ·
Ingo avatar image Ingo John Rushworth ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks. I saw that and will wait for the next release version which is probably due soon.

0 Likes 0 ·
porcini avatar image porcini commented ·

"mine is that it just disconnects and then never retries even though two AP's are available."

I have that problem too and no solution yet. Having a rebooting logging-device all the time to get a stabile wifi is no solution for me. Other devices work well with wifi without the need for a reboot, e.g. my phone and my printer.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ingo avatar image
Ingo answered ·

Last week I actually replaced my Cisco 877 router with a Ubiquiti In Wall AC unit and I also saw no more dropouts. Seems like the older tech WiFi doesn't work so well with newer generation clients.

2 |3000

daniel1957 avatar image
daniel1957 answered ·

When will Victron respond and fix this issue?

2 |3000

Francesco Pugliano avatar image
Francesco Pugliano answered ·

I am having trouble with wi-fi connectivity to Venus GX as well. Every once in a while, the Venus doesn't accept the password from some devices (iPhones). But the password I'm 100% sure it's correct. Re-entering the password doesn't fix the issue. For example now, I can only connect with my Macbook, and none of my 3 iPhones.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page