question

Anil Ghatikar avatar image
Anil Ghatikar asked

fronius on AC out restricted during grid failure

Any idea why Fronius is restricting its output when the grid is missing even when soc is less than 90 %?

did I miss some setting?

with grid available, it produces on average 700 to 1200 watt to match my house load

Screenshots attached

checked following

1. Quattro frequency - exact 50.0 Hz

2. ESS debug menu - I charge = 140 amp. P charge limit = -1.0

3. PV input voltage present at Fronius terminal above V start almost 300 V

ESSFronius
ess.jpg (43.9 KiB)
quattro.jpg (40.6 KiB)
vrm-0-watt.jpg (43.6 KiB)
solarweb.jpg (54.0 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I have contacted you via email to get some more information.
If we discover something, I will write a reply here.

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi both, there is a known issue:

Affects ESS systems using an external grid meter and Fronius PV Inverter with zero feedin enabled: when grid fails, the PV inverter is limited to 0W. Which is not at all necessary.

This will maybe be fixed in v2.20; otherwise in a version soon there after.

I’ll add the issue to the known issue list in the change log. It’s missing there.

@ghatikar please confirm that this matches your system.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Keith Arnold avatar image Keith Arnold commented ·

I have seen that fronius zero feed-in is also now restricting charging.

Please have a look at https://community.victronenergy.com/comments/24769/view.html

Primo on ac out 1 of a multiplus.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

It would appear from the VRM data that the Fronius PV is connected to the AC - INPUT side of the quattros, not the AC-OUT put side.

This means that when the grid drops out, the Fronius is detecting a grid outage, and turning off.

2 |3000

Anil Ghatikar answered ·

Hello Guy

Unfortunately, this is not the case . Fronius is connected on ACout 1 and producing small amounts of energy Without any fault indication ( green light on on fronius - no error code)

See Fronius readout on VRM and a wider capture where small power generation is visible

The VRM capture may be from last week and can be explained because of one of two reasons

1. Till last week Fronius was connected on AC out 2 ( during commissioning phase ) hence switched off with loss of grid. I have shifted Fronius to AC out 1 on Saturday 22nd Sept - and hence noticed the problem today.

2. if the graph is from today then the values are so small they are not captured

2 |3000

Anil Ghatikar answered ·

@mvader yes I can confirm. I have grid meter installed.

also confirmed that Fronius output resumes to normal after disabling the option " grid meter installed " in Fronius.

for the time being the mppt output is more than sufficient to maintain soc and feed the loads during weekdays so can I manually disable the grid meter if required over weekends as a temporary fix and set I back on when not needed?.

grid meter is important for me to get accurate consumption figures

1 comment
2 |3000

remi avatar image remi commented ·

Pranil,

how far with this issue?

0 Likes 0 ·
Anil Ghatikar answered ·

will check this weekend. I assume the issue is fixed in latest firmware as I have not noticed it recently

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey both; let me help: this was fixed in v2.20; released in October last year.

Full changelog can be downloaded from https://professional.victronenergy.com/

2 |3000