question

haertsfelder avatar image
haertsfelder asked

Onan Gen Shutdown Multiplus

Hello, we use an Multiplus Compact 12/2000/80-30, BMV700, MPPT100/30 in our Motorhome. If we start the ONAN Generator the Multiplus goes down without any Notifications / Alarms. After stopp the Gen nothing works. We switch off und on the Multiplus, than its work. Any Ideas?

Thanks and Greetings - Gerhard

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

More information is needed, like how its wired into the motor home and how the generator is connected.

its sounds like it maybe wired incorrecly. ie the generator is connected to the AC out conection of the compact multi.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

geomz avatar image
geomz answered ·

A few questions:

Did it use to work and now not?

Is anything new or changed?

Any possibly frayed, toasted, weakened wiring/fuses/bus-bar connections?

Can you get a wiring diagram put together on what's being run to where?

Is there anything like a CCGX that can capture events (like overload, short, etc)?

Are you looking at the led lights on the unit when this happens? If so, anything different/change?

Did you modify the base-config of the inverter via Veconfig or is it "out of the box" (this includes dip switches)?

Does the onan throw any "blink"'codes?

You say "after gen stop nothing works", does that mean that while the gen is still running you still have power, until it's turned off? (Despite the Inverter being powered off?)

2 |3000

Justin avatar image
Justin answered ·

I’m having similar problems with mine. I have an Onan 10k genny with a Multiplus 24 3000. My cables are 50mm2 600v welding cables upgraded from AGM to lithium with bmv 712 and smartsolar mppt 150. When I’m on shore power, I have no problems. My AGS cables, when connected to Multiplus, disables my genny. With the AGS disconnected, and I start my genny, it shuts down the Multiplus and kills all the power in my coach. I get an error log on my CCGX that the genny isn’t connected to AC power. I’ve gone through programming the Multiplus for lithium per Victron’s guidelines. I have no solar panels yet, but plan on installing in the near future. Any help would be great. Solutions even better.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

1 comment
2 |3000

John Van Doren avatar image John Van Doren commented ·

I’m interested in knowing how your Multi (or GX) is able to start/stop your Onan. From all I’ve read, the single relay on the Multi is not cable of initiating the “soft” start or stop routines on Onan gennies. If you have part numbers & schematics to share, I’d really appreciate them.

Thank you

John

0 Likes 0 ·
mrseas avatar image
mrseas answered ·
2 |3000