question

Bill avatar image
Bill asked

Comparing BMV 700-702-712

Does anyone know if there is a comparison paper or chart for the BMV lineup? After getting the Raspberry Pi working with my current Victron Controllers I am considering switching from a Bogart Trimetric to the BMV to have that info included in VRM too. I guess hearing that should make Victron happy...

-Bill

VRMBMV Battery MonitorVenus OSRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Ole Saether avatar image
Ole Saether answered ·

BMV-712 have Bluetooth

BMV-712 draws much less current than the other two: <1mA vs <4mA

BMV-712 have a slightly lower maximum input voltage than the other two: 70V vs 95V

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thats it indeed; besides drawing less current by itself; there is the bistable relay; as pointed out by @Boekel.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

There is this:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-BMV-700-series-EN.pdf

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-BMV-712-Smart-EN.pdf

Usually for me the 700 is enough, but if you want temperature or midpoint / second battery voltage then one of the higher numbers are useful.

2 |3000

Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

Thanks I had seen those pdf's. I could see no difference between the 702 and the 712. I am assuming there is something as they have different costs. Does the 712 only add internal Bluetooth? Anything else? Thanks Again, Bill

1 comment
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

yes, as far as I know it's the Bluetooth, plus the 712 has a bi-stable relay, so it draws less power when relay is active.
(there might be other things but I don't remember, overall current draw of 712 is also lower)

0 Likes 0 ·
Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

Thanks! There is one other thing that the doc's seem to imply that I am wondering if I am getting it straight. The way they word it, the 702 & 712 can only do one of these two options. They can either monitor another battery, such as chassis OR they can monitor temperature but not both. Is that correct? I would like to do both the Chassis battery voltage info and the house battery temperature info sharing/monitoring,

I own a SBS, but I am reading that once a BMV is in play the SBS won't work as only the BMV can provide that to the controllers once that is on the system.

Let me know -Bill

2 |3000