question

lillevenn avatar image
lillevenn asked

Connect Multiple SmartSolarCharger

I have to connect 4 100/30 MPPT SmartSolarChargers to a CCGX Color control

The distance is 12m.

I have read in the Colorcontrol manual to use VE.direct to USB, but normal USB works only up to 5m.

I want to test active USB cable for longer distance.

Looking for advice how to proceed or someone with a succesfull installation like this.

MPPT ControllersCCGX Color ControlVE.Direct
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lillevenn avatar image lillevenn commented ·

Thank you very much for your answers. I appeciate them very much.

Unfortunately, getting closer to the MPPT dosen't help me, because I'm on a Boat and all the other equipment like Digital Multi Control and BMV are installed at the chart table.

I ask this question also in the boat's forum and there is an other owner how is awayting a answer on this question directly from his Victron dealer. So let's see what he can find out.

In any case I will try it and post the results here.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Lille. The question needs asking: Why so far away?

If your mppts are mounted close to your batts, inverter, etc. as one would normally do, then just leave the GX handy to that area. A single ethernet cable or wifi and a remote screen/laptop will give full functionality from wherever you want.

Sorry this doesn't answer your question directly, but the GX series are all designed to do this and avoid the long multiple wires.

If I'm offbeam, just ignore. If you want to know more, there's plenty info for the remote option we can cough for you to consider.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Not exactly the same, but I have used active USB cables to over 10M before without issues.

I would think your idea would be fine, and worth testing. Definitely worth reporting back if it works or if it fails.

I would use 4 x VE.Direct to USB, to the USB hub that is tested and known working then an active USB cable to go the 10M distance that remains.

If you can bring the connection closer, a slightly cheaper option might be 2 x VE.direct 10M cables and only 2 x VE.Direct to USB adapters. That solution would also mean 3 cables instead of only 1.

1 comment
2 |3000

lillevenn avatar image lillevenn commented ·

Hello Guy

I have made all the installation and I can now report back that everything is working fine. I can see all 4 SmartSolar chargers, beside a BMV 712 and a MultiPlus.

I used 4 VE.Direct to USB to connect to a USB Hub, that is connected to a 15m active USB cable. Perfect.

Since yesterday I even have access to the VRM portal over a ASUS N14 WiFi adapter.

If you need some more information for other users, please contact me.

Thank you for your help

0 Likes 0 ·
captks avatar image
captks answered ·

I have similar issue on my vessel. have 2 multiplus 12/3000 a mppt 150/75-TR and a BM700 connected to a color gx. I want to add another BM700 for the battery charger and batteries for my bow thruster and as you would geuss it is a 50-60 ft run from where it would be mounted to the gx. all the other equipmnent is fairly close though. can a ve.direct cable go that far? I only see 10m as max listed.

2 |3000