question

didrik avatar image
didrik asked

BMS 12/200 as current limiter with alternator control cable (ASS 030510100)

Hello

I am trying to protect my alternators while charging lithium batteries. I have seen this document:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/VE.Bus-BMS-to-BMS-12-1200-alternator-control-cable-EN.pdf

This states that if using the mentioned cable the BMS 12/200 can be used as a current limiter. in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIJRjJtCR0&t=197s it is mentioned that up to 200A can be used.

I do not have the VE.Bus unit. Can anyone explain to me what voltage or signal that is supposed to be sent through the mentioned cable. It looks like the red wire is 12V + , but what is to be sent through the yellow cable, connected to the charge disconnect port of the VE.Bus.

Thank you.

Didrik

BMSVE.Buscurrent limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

What comes out on that cable is a +12 signal or a low signal

Ie 12 volts is supplied out or no voltage

so its just a yes charge signal or a turn off signal

The VE-BMS is only a switch on/off unit it takes a signal from the cell level BMS units on the battery and then says

to the Multi/quattro inverter via RJ45 turn charging off or turn loads off or turn both on/off

and or it also puts a 12 volt + signal out the load connection to say loads are ok to connect or NO viltage signal to disconnect the loads

or

it also puts a 12 volt + signal out the ChARGE connection to say Charging is ok to connect or NO Volts signal to disconect the charging

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

The best thing to protect your alternator is a temperature sensor connected to your regulator Balmar make a good regulator for this and also have a sutable temp sender.

Or modify the field circuit in the alternator buy inserting a Thermal temp sensor inline (Series) with the main field control wire. thus if it heats up to much the field is opened and the Alternator stops charging . I would think a thermal cutoff thats in a kettle would work fine. but no higher than say 180/200 deg C or the melting point of solder. (depending on the solder type used in the alternator)

0 Likes 0 ·
didrik avatar image didrik Paul B commented ·

I agree, but my initial situation is that the alternators does not easily convert to a temperature controlled field control. Balmer alternators with a controller is a very solid solution, but also quite expensive when the current alternators are working great. By using this BMS 12/200 and the control cable as you have explained, provides a way to limit current to a reasonable level, and I can test and verify that this will be a good solution.

Thanks again!

0 Likes 0 ·
didrik avatar image didrik commented ·

Hi Paul B

Thank you for the explanation! This is as I thought, but it is very good to get it confirmed.

Didrik

0 Likes 0 ·
chezgals avatar image chezgals commented ·

So just to clarify, the yellow cable sends 12v to the bms 12-200 for on and no voltage for off. How many amps does it require?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

What is VE.Bus?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic