question

Ole Adebahr avatar image
Ole Adebahr asked

MPPT 250 earth fault monitoring

In general I am very happy with your MPPT controllers, but I do have the same problem as the author of "Earth Fault Alarm Monitor in parallel to the MPPT250/100". Since there was no real solution within the answer, I suggest you built a monitoring system into the controller as all the grid inverter manufacturers do for the Australian market.

MPPT ControllersESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

11 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hello Ole,

Victron R&D and head office is aware of this issue.

The new Australian Standard AS 5139:2019 that covers electrical installations for Battery systems with power conversion equipment will require Earth fault alarms and disconnection for all systems above 60V, which could even include 24V systems as it is common to connect 2 x 60 cell panels in this arrangement.

This new standard is currently in draft, but will likely be approved in the next 6-9 months.

There is a 3rd party solution available at the moment using Morningstar ground fault protection units.

But I agree 100% that this should be a feature build in at these voltages.

I am preparing a report to help with this process, any further information that you could provide about this would be useful.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

danlowey avatar image danlowey commented ·

Hi Guy,

Has there been any progress on this topic?

0 Likes 0 ·
danlowey avatar image
danlowey answered ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager),

And progress on the topic?

2 |3000

negawatts avatar image
negawatts answered ·

Also wonder if Victron has a built-in solution yet? Or if not an inexpensive way of doing it - besides the Morningstar solution?

2 |3000

mblowes avatar image
mblowes answered ·

AS5139 is an interesting read.

The AERL Earthguard may be another option for this.

I'm also looking for information on the separation between the input and output side of the MPPT solar controllers. Appendix C of the standard suggests that for devices dc coupled to the battery bus without appropriate separation then the whole system has to be rated at the input voltage of the MPPT.

That would kind of void the wiring of the 100 year old lead acid battery rooms. I guess the manufacturers of integrated AC coupled batteries like that.

2 |3000

mblowes avatar image
mblowes answered ·

I can add that with AS5139 the assumption is that my 48V power shed is now a 250V power shed. This is due solely because of the MPPTs. :-(. All the wiring , load disconnects etc have to be changed now. Also it looks like the fusing capability of the Lynx wont cover the need. Both positive and negative have to be fused. So one last look at my beautiful blue wall of Victron before all the other stuff goes on..

img-9028-2.jpg (2.3 MiB)
2 |3000

energywonk avatar image
energywonk answered ·

Yeh we would love an update on this also. It's just a piece of code to send an SMS or email alert. That's it. Should be an overnight fix! Good luck

2 |3000

steve-b avatar image
steve-b answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) Guy Stewart

I too would like to know if there is any progress on this as AS5139 is now fully mandatory.

I would be happy to buy a Victron unit to solve this, if one was available, as I'm sure would many.

I've recently installed a system using a Quattro and I'm looking at having to use a third party solution.

Regards

Steve B

P.S. Any plans on the Quattro getting back on the CEC list in Australia after Dec 18th

2 |3000

mickymac avatar image
mickymac answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) is there any update on this?

2 |3000

mickymac avatar image
mickymac answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) Hi Guy, just following up with a reminder?

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @mickymac,

The new 450V MPPT RS range now includes an earth fault alarm.

There are no plans to bring this to the existing 250V (or less) range.

There is a 3rd party product from AERL called the Earth Guard, that I have heard has been used when the new RS model is unsuitable.

1 comment
2 |3000

Andrew Ayles avatar image Andrew Ayles commented ·
The AERL earth guard only works at 48v not at 12 or 24 (as per their data sheet). This still leaves no options for people at lower voltages to meet the requirements of the standard
0 Likes 0 ·
mickymac avatar image
mickymac answered ·

Thanks @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) , I might look further, just seems such a shame to otherwise have to put a 450v unit in for 1.3kw of panels.

2 |3000